daedel
Topic Author

Limitations on Hate/Resolve points usage per round

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 11:58

Hello! Is there any limitation to the use of Hate or Resolve points per round and creature? For example, can I use a Hate point to add +1d to one Attack Roll and another Hate point to cast for example Dreadful Spells? Can I use H/R several times on the same fell ability?

Harlath

Re: Limitations on Hate/Resolve points usage per round

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 16:32

Here's an old thread on the subject, where Michele (one of the rules developers) providers some thoughts.

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=9243

I like it when a game provides a formal framework/guidance/limits on this kind of spending, but can understand why the designers went a flexible route here.

Personally, I tend to limit things like Dreadful Spells or Strike Fear to once per round, but I'd be happy to spend multiple points on something like Snake Like Speed. So I'm generally "Each Fell Ability can have hate spent on it once per round" but with notable exceptions. :)

Burying the PCs with Fell abilities doesn't make sense narratively and nor does it make for a good mechanical challenge. "The Barrow wight appears and chucks 'Dreadful Spells' six times, burning its hate down to 0" isn't exactly kosher.

daedel
Topic Author

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 17:04

Here's an old thread on the subject, where Michele (one of the rules developers) providers some thoughts.

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?t=9243

I like it when a game provides a formal framework/guidance/limits on this kind of spending, but can understand why the designers went a flexible route here.

Personally, I tend to limit things like Dreadful Spells or Strike Fear to once per round, but I'd be happy to spend multiple points on something like Snake Like Speed. So I'm generally "Each Fell Ability can have hate spent on it once per round" but with notable exceptions. :)

Burying the PCs with Fell abilities doesn't make sense narratively and nor does it make for a good mechanical challenge. "The Barrow wight appears and chucks 'Dreadful Spells' six times, burning its hate down to 0" isn't exactly kosher.
Thank you Harlath, that was a very interesting thread. looks like there's no set-in-stone rule about that and it's more a matter of balance. The way you use it seems sounds nice to me.

Harlath

Tue 14 Jun 2022, 17:55

Delighted to help! And happy to knock ideas around here too if that thread sparks any thought. No intent to kill discussion.

Glad my thoughts were useful too.