n4tune8
Topic Author

Spell Mastery and healing

Wed 08 Jun 2022, 19:36

I recently realized that an 18th level Theurg or Troll Singer can choose Cure Wounds and/or Healing Word as their Spell Mastery spells. This means they can cast those spells at will without corruption, all day long. At an average of 17 hp per round (if both spells are taken, assuming a WIS of +5), they can easily refill the hit points of not only a group of adventurers, but an army! No more need to spend Hit Dice to recover hp at this point... Was that intended? In 5E, Wizards (who have spell mastery) do not have access to healing spells, and thus cannot do that. Classes with healing spells do not have "unlimited casting" features.

On the other hand... it's at 18th level. Not many characters will get to that level anyway. But His Radiant Hand of the Queen's Medicus Corps could heal an actual army in one night (9600 soldiers in 8 hours, assuming 1 HD soldiers).
Last edited by n4tune8 on Thu 09 Jun 2022, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

OldHoss

Re: Spell Mastery and healing

Wed 08 Jun 2022, 20:33

But His Radiant Hand of the Queen's Medicus Corps could heal an actual army in one night (9600 soldiers in 8 hours, assuming 1 HD soldiers).

It's a logistical challenge. I can't help recalling the Silicon Valley season one finale: "Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency." And on that note, "His Radiant Hand" will be a good title for your adventure.

zook

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 00:02

RoS is a stranger example of System/Seting which in one hand is dndish (we have Sherlock here! And even Holmes ), i mean we all except from it to be inside balanced. On other hand it is story driven system, which is by design unbalanced aka designers except from DM to balance game by using storytelling.
So in this case I will think about this like:
Oh, this guy can heal thousands and don’t care about corruption, maybe we should look closer…
- Anonymous Templar
It what I see it.

Kaybe

Sat 11 Jun 2022, 01:29

Easiest way to balance it is to allow 18th level Mastery and 20th level Signature spells to only be from the list of spells you're allowed to favor. So for a Theurg, for example, that means infinite Prayer of Healing, which is a much slower (every 10 minutes) but doesn't allow Cure Wounds. Whereas a Troll Singer can get perma-invisibility and infinite lesser restoration. Not that anyone going to be playing a Troll Singer at high levels, mind you, due to that whole suicidal casting thing. Well, okay, Troll Singer at high levels make pretty good cantrip casting buff bots if that's your thing.

But yeah, I think restricting the infinite casts to spells in the list that don't have an asterisk next to them would be pretty balanced.

n4tune8
Topic Author

Mon 13 Jun 2022, 20:29

But yeah, I think restricting the infinite casts to spells in the list that don't have an asterisk next to them would be pretty balanced.
I agree with you, this would be an easy and appropriate fix. Perhaps Fria Ligan could put that in the errata and add it in the next printing?