Maff
Topic Author

Humans & The Shire

Wed 08 Jun 2022, 22:28

I’m posting this here as it touches on the starter adventures. They are of course Hobbit based but reading the Shire book, i began to wonder - once you are past the starter games and if a player wants to run a human or Elf, just how will the LM handle that in the Shire? A dwarf or hobbit maybe but a party of 3-4 assorted PCs will attract a lot of attention. I suppose that IF you do need to transit it, then the PCs need to be ready for odd looks, packs of hobbit kids following them, dogs barking etc etc.

This then made me think - Adventure 2 shows how edgy things are on the N border of the Shire; clearly the locals on the fringes have a better idea that “things” are out there and a farmer may keep his wood axe or bow a bit closer to hand, just in case. The same must be true to the S as well; I presume that the Rangers maintain a “forward strategy” and deal with threats as far out as possible - but I love the hints in the encounters that hooded & cloaked men are lurking out there.

A bit of a ramble but I am thinking hard on a Ranger based Strider mode campaign set around the edge of the Shire

Otaku-sempai

Re: Humans & The Shire

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 21:43

It's not like Men are banned from entering the Shire (at least not until the Fourth Age). However, the Bounders are likely to turn away a party that looks too suspicious to them, so you want to have a good story ready for them (perhaps even a bribe or two).
#FideltyToTolkien

Maff
Topic Author

Re: Humans & The Shire

Thu 09 Jun 2022, 22:03

That’s it - the ban is much later but it struck me that if say a party of a dwarf, an elf and a Bree man are travelling through the Shire, it could, well, not your usual RPG session?

And if you are a have a Dunedain in Bree, you’ll get odd looks at least.

It’s a bit of a change from D&D where an eclectic mix of characters walk into a pub and it’s normal(ish)!