_ArthurDallas_

Re: Prep & set-up for Destroyer of Worlds & Frontier War

Sat 28 May 2022, 19:20

Thanks so much.
I'll read this and get back to you soon.
maybe I'll run it too (we are at mission 5 but maybe I could integrate it somewhere).
thanks again.

Angelman
Topic Author

Sun 29 May 2022, 00:39

Thanks so much.
I'll read this and get back to you soon.
maybe I'll run it too (we are at mission 5 but maybe I could integrate it somewhere).
thanks again.
Oh, no problem at all, sir :) I just ran the thing and it was a blast. Also, I gave the players a quick introduction on the Children of the Two Divines, since I figured the CMC probably had a short file on them, and I decided to show them the picture of the Grand Seer, Raudi. I hadn't noticed it before, but immediately upon projecting the image full screen (we play over Zoom), it hit me - that NPC is H. R. Giger himself! Very cool :D

Edit: Yeah... I just checked what the R in H R Giger stands for, and of course the man's middle name was "Raudi"... I should have known that :D
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 31 May 2022, 19:46

Man it's the finding of the year ... and you're right. Sir Raudi is in fact (old) H.G. Giger. I've seen a picture and it's him.

for crying out loud. you're right.

Angelman
Topic Author

Tue 31 May 2022, 20:01

Man it's the finding of the year ... and you're right. Sir Raudi is in fact (old) H.G. Giger. I've seen a picture and it's him.

for crying out loud. you're right.
Yeah, I like Gaska. He is clever and funny ;)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Frontinus

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 04:21

Wow, that is an impressive opening scenario! Thank you for sharing @Angelman.

Foreshadows and introduces a whole bunch of Frontier War stuff. You clearly have a thorough grasp of the campaign as outlined in CMOM. I think it is a bit more graphic than the other missions in the book, but it would not be hard to tweak that stuff up or down to match a specific table's desired gore level. Will definitely consider this for the prologue when I get to run the Frontier War and at a minimum will find a use for that cultist covered in black oil with razor blades strapped to his fingers. Such an evocative image and beautiful foreshadowing.

I hope you'll share with us other highlights from your groups' adventures as they continue.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 12:45

Wow, that is an impressive opening scenario! Thank you for sharing @Angelman.

Foreshadows and introduces a whole bunch of Frontier War stuff. You clearly have a thorough grasp of the campaign as outlined in CMOM. I think it is a bit more graphic than the other missions in the book, but it would not be hard to tweak that stuff up or down to match a specific table's desired gore level. Will definitely consider this for the prologue when I get to run the Frontier War and at a minimum will find a use for that cultist covered in black oil with razor blades strapped to his fingers. Such an evocative image and beautiful foreshadowing.

I hope you'll share with us other highlights from your groups' adventures as they continue.
Thanks, mate, but credit where credit is due. The story was @Fragpuss's idea and I just fleshed it out for my use and ramped up the gothic horror element. And you're right, it's a bit more over-the-top, visually, than what the other Frontier War missions presents, and probably more in line with Hear of Darkness, stylistically.

As for the xeno-wannabe, I was a little worried that my players wouldn't get it, but of course they did, instantly :lol: To quote my girlfriend: "Given a few more hours, and that guy would've stuck a black power cable up his butt (to simulate a tail, of course)" :roll:

We're starting Op: Blaze of Glory tomorrow, The Space-Jockeys' willing, so there won't be any more preludes & set-up sessions from me, but I do plan on running a couple of tailor-made mini-missions in between the official ones. Also, if you haven't seen them already, I posted three prelude missions in the OP, which sees our Tamb'Itam PCs doing patrols and such at Ariarcus prior to running Destroyer of Worlds. This allowed me to foreshadow/set up both the DoW location and the future FW-characters, and help tie it all together into a larger narrative. Thus far, it's been quite successful, really.

And we'll probably meet the DoW survivors (Mick Horton & Cpt. Bolaji + possibly Mercenary Pin [Sotillo crew from CotG] and Davidovich + possibly Imre Botos, of all people) again, down the road, in some form, and/or the survivors from our running of the Chariot of the Gods (Cpt. Miller & Rye + the AI brain of Lucas). I haven't figured out how to re-use them yet, but some of these might show up in HoD in some form; we'll see :)
Last edited by Angelman on Thu 02 Jun 2022, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 02 Jun 2022, 12:58

One thing I want to do, going forward, is to give the non-PC Section of the Tamb'Itam some off-screen missions. Many of the missions, IIRC, presume that a single section is sent on the op, and it would be weird if it was always the same gang. So, I will try to write up some off-screen stuff that the other section can do, the result of which will inform the overall campaign. If nothing else, this is a very simple way of bringing to the fore clues & epiphanies that the players, for whatever reason, missed/overlooked/ignored. It is also a fun way to use the side-missions (or whatever they're called... can't recall) that I don't feel like running as full-blown scenarios in my campaign; I'll just introduce them in a summary that the players get to hear for what the other section has been up to. Things like:

"News has just come back, that while you're patrolling here, Beta Section has tangoed with some badies. They got in a rough spot, but Vaughn sent a Berserker in! Only problem is, the Berserker stroked out and died before ever firing a bullet, so they needed someone to step in and don the suit to save their arses. Billy-Bob Jones rose to the challenge and is now trapped in the Berserker suit. They say that, on good days, you can still recognize his mannerisms an posture, and he hardly ever lash out in anger... hardly."
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Angelman
Topic Author

Mon 08 Aug 2022, 16:56

For completist reasons, I'll link to my 4th side-mission, Perchance to Dream, here, just to make referencing easier without having to double-post the discussion.

https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?p=73490#p73490
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".