Fenhorn

Re: Urban Operations

Tue 24 May 2022, 14:18

Anxiously keeping my eyes peeled for this one!
Dito! I hope it'll be out soon.
Hopefully after the kickstarter for Bladerunner ends.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ottarrus

Wed 25 May 2022, 00:04

I'm in an online campaign on r20, and it's our group's considered opinion that with the Second Ukraine War happening FL is slowing the rollout of Urban Ops. They don't want to exacerbate already hard feelings. Now, everybody is aware that a game isn't gonna set off a huge debate. After all, it's just a game. But with Sweden petitioning to join NATO the political situation is tense and there's no need for a Swedish company to contribute to that tension at any level.
Let me repeat that this is all just speculation. We have absolutely no evidence to support it. We've all watched international politics play out more than once and this is just what our experience tells us. And we could be complete wrong.

Vcutter

Wed 25 May 2022, 10:52

with the Second Ukraine War happening FL is slowing the rollout of Urban Ops
It certainly looks like it. Even their Twitter account is spamming every other game than Twilight 2000.
Then again the guy doing maps for it (Twilightmaps) on Patreon commented a few weeks ago that he has one more map to do for it and that is the last one. So it could be just a production thing and for some reason there have been delays.
What I would like to see is some straightforward comms from Free League regarding the release. If it is due to Ukrainian war and the subject matter just say it up front and delay it. Then again this insane war is likely to continue way past few more months so when would the "correct" time for release be then?
Personally I don't think releasing it would cause any ripples. It is just a sourcebook in a still quite a marginal hobby and other forms of entertainment being released that relate to warfare, even ones with Russians as the enemy (new Topgun quite strongly hints at them, especially with the scenery etc)

But some statement from FL regarding the status of Urban Ops would definitely be appreciated by the community.

Ser Stevos

Thu 26 May 2022, 06:15

I'd weigh in and say that it's a safe bet that the Bladerunner Kickstarter was a priority and Free League did not want to be running two kickstarters at the same time, possibly causing one to fail. Though I agree that if the delay has to do with current events, it'd be very nice for Free League to express that to the Twilight community.

Kutunluu

Sat 28 May 2022, 07:38

Tomas Härenstam just wrote on the Twilight Facebook group: "The PDF should be done in just a few weeks, then the preorder can start, with immediate access to the PDF. :)"

Vcutter

Sat 28 May 2022, 14:00

Thanks for the update Kutunluu!
This is great news. Perhaps indeed there were only production issues or perhaps they wanted to just wait and see a bit longer what hoppens in the world.
Nevertheless I’m really glad some official info was given and can’t wait for the release!

JaskoGomad

Fri 17 Jun 2022, 20:41

I’ve been waiting on Urban Ops in hopes that it would enable the Red Dawn campaign I think would be more palatable in the context of what’s really happening in the world right now.

I’ll be pre ordering as soon as I can get a link to do so!

Ursus Maior

Fri 01 Jul 2022, 00:05

Yeah, can't wait to get to preorder and read the PDF. I did a one-shot last year in July, re-starting my campaign tomorrow in good ol' Kraków.
liber & infractus

Solitare99

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 13:43

Morning All,

Just saw this on Discord from Daniel.... Looking good. Direct lift for the chat.

Daniel @Spelkult.se — 23/07/2022
Got an ok to describe the new rules in rough terms. I know many of us are eager to learn more about Urban Ops, so I will try to summarize most of them, but I really want to underline that these are all work in progress and there will probably be changes, and I won't go into detail;

There are new archetypes and new specialties.

There's new rules for Indoors, Outdoors hexes, Blocked hexes as well as rules for breaching Blocked hexes, doors, walls, ceilings and floors. Rules for Windows, Floors and Rooftops. Moving up or down a floor is a fast action if there is a staircase, otherwise it is a slow action and a mobility roll.
New rules for Entering buildings (takes an extra fast action).
New rules for obstacles, placing obstacles, cover by vehicles and a key rule about "Hugging walls" (which forces enemies inside building to expose themselves to be able to fire upon you).

There's additions for Ambushes, which adds "Kill zones" where the ambushers target a specific hex (the Kill zone) and the ability to shoot on an entry hex before being spotted with ambushers starting in overwatch, along with new rules for spotting shooters since you no longer automatically know where the ambushing shots originate from.

Rules for firing blind, explosions indoors (increases one step just as inside vehicles) and booby traps indoors.

Urban Ops makes some changes to the core rules. There are more restrictions to what can be seen indoors and enemies outside can not trace line of sight to you either. You only move one hex indoors and aren't allowed to roll mobility to run further.

There are also rules for the new, more zoomed-in Close Quarters Combat maps using sectors instead of hexes and more detailed rules. (edited)

Rules for City Travel using City Maps with 200m hexagons, Tasks while in a city, Checkpoints, Backing off. City Encounters (which is drawn one per stretch instead of one per shift, with the addition of Meta plot ties and Faction on each encounter). Rules for tracking Areas of Control for factions. Stationary encounters inside cities.
New Typical city npcs, Rumors and new Radio Chatter.

(as well as the new Urban Plots, which are more of meta plots over several sessions during a campaign)

...on the whole, a great addition with both rules that was much needed for urban warfare, as well as much anticipated meta plots.
The illustrations are just as good as before, as well as the awesome chapter paintings.

Ursus Maior

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 14:38

All of this sounds mighty fine!
liber & infractus