Civiloid
Topic Author

Water of the Dusk and Permanent corruption from items (attunement)

Wed 18 May 2022, 13:46

In the description of the artifact it says that when attuned it causes damage (1d12 for each permanent corruption points PC have) and then all permanent corruption is removed.

My players came up with a question which I don't know how to answer. They want to attune to an item that gives them 2 points of permanent corruption, then attune to the Water of Dusk, get rid of the permanent corruption that way, attune to another item, disattune to the water of dusk, attune to it again, sustain damage. And by using that - have 2 magical items and no points of corruption.

Technically this is "rules-as-written" as I can't find any mentions that permanent corruption from items anyhow different from other permanent corruption, but I have a feeling that it goes against the actual meaning behind rules. I have a feeling that for example if you unattune to the flask, you'll regain all permanent corruption from your items.

And actually same question about other means of getting rid of corruption (e.x. drinking water of the dusk's Drop of the Sun) but there as it is a rare consumable it is better to allow them get rid of permanent corruption points that way.

jonathanpay

Re: Water of the Dusk and Permanent corruption from items (attunement)

Thu 19 May 2022, 10:56

How much Water of the Dusk do they have? It's surely a "consumable" in that it has limited uses and doesn't do the job if you just hold the flask?
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Civiloid
Topic Author

Tue 24 May 2022, 10:27

They have one flask with 5 chargers.

I think the problem there is that Rules As Written says:
The holy Water of the Dusk cannot be bound by taking on new corruption; it must be paid for in pain. When this is done, a character that attunes the water to themselves immediately suffers 1d12 points of damage for each point of permanent Corruption they have. Characters whose hit points are brought down to 0 are immediately burned to a pile of ash – the rule for death saving throws does not apply! The ones who survive will find that all their permanent Corruption has been burnt away
As you need to attune to it before you can use it. So player's immediate question was: "Ok, so I can attune to it, sustain damage, get rid of all permanent Corruption that I have from my items, then unattune from it, give it to another party member, and we can repeat the process as many times as they want, right?"

So that is not a question about using one of the charges as "Drop of the Sun", but just about attunement mechanics. As Rules-as-Written actually allows that behavior, but it seems to break permanent corruption mechanic completely (and in that case I would say "Uncommon" is not a correct item type for the "Water of the Dusk", as it should be Legendary instead)

jonathanpay

Tue 24 May 2022, 11:38

Personally, "attuning" to something that is clearly a consumable (wether by drinking or washing/pouring over) doesn't make sense, so I'd change that. I think you're right about the legendary vs uncommon status though.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

BeeKeeperSalonico

Wed 31 Aug 2022, 09:53

Hi there. A small correction: Binding with Water of the Dusk induces 1d4 points of damage per point of permanent corruption (Page 186, Symbaroum-CoreRulebook).
The holy Water of the Dusk cannot be bound by taking on new corruption; it must be paid for in pain. When this is done, a character that attunes the water to themselves immediately suffers 1d12 points of damage for each point of permanent Corruption they have.