inexperienceddm
Topic Author

Meta Gaming Player

Mon 16 May 2022, 19:08

So, I have a player, we'll call him William, who is EXTREMELY into the lore of the game and is playing a barbarian, so he's gotten very, very, very deep into the local tribal histories and stuff presented in the Rulebook. He's combed through basically everything in the Core Rulebook and has soaked it up like a sponge. We're in the beginning of Wrath of the Warden and just finished dealing with the speaking of the Bronze Well. Here's my predicament: William is new to TTRPGs and so far has had a rather difficult issue with meta gaming. I'm still working my way through Wrath of the Warden and just kind of need to know if there's anything in the Core Rulebook that if William starts meta gaming is going to totally screw over the story within the campaign for the other players.

MutantFromMars

Re: Meta Gaming Player

Thu 19 May 2022, 20:37

Can't think of anything off the top of my head, Symbaroum tends to introduce its secrets slowly and across the Throne of Thorns books. I didn't let my players read the main book, but that was mostly because I was starting with The Promised Land, and had all the characters be from the ruins of Alberetor, so they could discover aspects of the setting once they crossed the mountains.

Regional breakdowns in the Core don't really contain anything that someone actually living there or from there wouldn't know, if I remember rightly, and Wrath of the Warden is centred on Thistlehold and its immediate environs, you'll know a lot more about this than your player, because you'll have read both the core and the much more detailed information on the campaign book.

jerichojeudy

Re: Meta Gaming Player

Tue 26 Jul 2022, 11:47

Can’t think of anything too. The CB is pretty much player safe. The beginning of the ToT campaign books are also player safe. They are even meant to be read by lore hungry players.

But please do keep William away from the APG! Major spoilers in there! :/