elenius
Topic Author

Star of the Mist - issues with map/layout

Fri 13 May 2022, 23:55

I am curious if anyone used this location and how things went... Some things don't quite make sense to me.

First of all, the "Flooded chambers" map has an error. The "Staircase to the Dwarven Gate" should say "Staircase to Brigands' Camp/Cave". Following the text, we can conclude that the dwarven gate is the room just to the right of the broken bridge. But there are some other issues...

- The tunnel on the bottom of the same map is not mentioned in the text. Where does it lead? At the end of the location description, it mentions that the dwarves have other ways out that bypass the brigands, so presumably this is the way to those exits?
- Through what secret way did the dwarves lead the Angmarian attackers? Presumably, it must have crossed the same broken stone bridge, but that's not very secret -- it can be seen from the top of the gorge. And the brigands' cave leading into those tunnels appears to be obvious as well.
- Was there originally a larger bridge at the top of the gorge? No ruins of it are mentioned. If not, how did people travel to the town, and how did the attackers expect to reach it?
- Do you assume there is no other way to the other side of the gorge (i.e. it is in an inaccessible mountain valley), other than crossing the gorge?

Thankfully, the maps in RotLR have numbered keys...

Sebastian

Re: Star of the Mist - issues with map/layout

Sun 15 May 2022, 14:31

I must confess, I had to read the description of the map several times to get, where was what. But it is not supposed to be a dungeon crawl map, where everything is fleshed out. It is more an inspiration for the Loremaster. If you wanted to make an accurate map of the Star of the Mist city, tower and underground dwarven city, you would have a mega dungeon to draw, and that is not the intention of this adventure site I imagine.

elenius
Topic Author

Re: Star of the Mist - issues with map/layout

Mon 16 May 2022, 18:17

I must confess, I had to read the description of the map several times to get, where was what. But it is not supposed to be a dungeon crawl map, where everything is fleshed out. It is more an inspiration for the Loremaster. If you wanted to make an accurate map of the Star of the Mist city, tower and underground dwarven city, you would have a mega dungeon to draw, and that is not the intention of this adventure site I imagine.
I agree, but that is not my intent. I think at least the relative positions of the main locations could be a bit clearer.