TherorSilverhelm
Topic Author

Travelling in the Starter Set

Mon 21 Feb 2022, 17:44

Hi All,
I'm going to be running my first game of TOR 2e this weekend and have been reading through the starter set adventures in prep.
I have noticed on reading that the adventures give no indication as to when I would use the Journey rules. (I understand for the starter set that I can/should use the Hobbit-Walks sidebar in The Shire booklet.) What would be a good rule of thumb for when to use the Journey rules? Should they be used on all trips no matter how small? any examples from the starter set would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Pangea

Re: Travelling in the Starter Set

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 06:39

Answering you from memory (not checking the Red Book again now) but I am quite sure that all the Journeys in the starter set's adventures are pre-rolled, and that this is clearly stated in the adventures when there are Journeys.
You get info' on who the PCs meet & what happens to them & how much Fatigue they can accrue etc. (or if the trip is uneventful, or if you can have them start having arrived pre-session etc.).
I remember there being at least one place where you are given the option of using the Hobbit-Walks (I think it is the adventure that is written for being started with the PCs having arrived, but where you can make your own Journey if you wish).
My recollection is that it worked fine: though we did not make the rolls etc. it was clear enough for us (both LM & PCs) to see how the stages were run etc., with the results given.

Thus I had the players make their first Journey rolls when we moved on from the Starter Set to what was the rest of the campaign.
Playing in France, and online

TherorSilverhelm
Topic Author

Tue 22 Feb 2022, 10:37

Thanks for the reply.
I see what you mean, having read through after your post, I can see where the Journey events have been "Pre-rolled" and placed in the text.
I will certainly run it in the same way you have, and start rolling for Journey's once we leave the Starter Set.

Vindictae

Mon 09 May 2022, 21:20

Personally, I decided to use the journey mechanic during the second chapter of the Starter set (the journey through the Moors). Both as an introduction to the players of the journey mechanic, and some practice for me as the Loremaster. I feel it can be useful (and fun) to introduce small elements of the complete game, if you feel that you and the players are ready for it, but it's by no means necessary.