Calle
Topic Author

Stone Giants

Fri 06 May 2022, 15:50

Are there any stats for the Misty Mountains stone giants? How big can they be? Are we talking 10-20 meters? Are they nude or wearing some kind of hide clothes?

Otaku-sempai

Re: Stone Giants

Fri 06 May 2022, 16:36

I'm trying to remember if any giants appeared at all in TOR 1e; maybe even one from the White Mountains?
#FideltyToTolkien

Calle
Topic Author

Fri 06 May 2022, 16:42

I dont think so, but they are talked about in the Hobbit. Bilbo and the dwarves sees them in the thunderstorm at Misty Mountains.

gyrovague

Fri 06 May 2022, 16:46

A long pondered question! Between the description of the thunder-battle in the Misty Mountains, and Gandalf’s comment about finding a more or less friendly (“decent”?) giant to block up the goblin’s new entrance, there’s pretty good evidence that ME has giants, distinct from trolls.

I’m still hoping they appear in a supplement.

Calle
Topic Author

Fri 06 May 2022, 16:51

A long pondered question! Between the description of the thunder-battle in the Misty Mountains, and Gandalf’s comment about finding a more or less friendly (“decent”?) giant to block up the goblin’s new entrance, there’s pretty good evidence that ME has giants, distinct from trolls.

Me too! :)

Inculta

Sat 07 May 2022, 09:24

I made a quick statblock for a game of mine, though it was for a "Forest Giant" that lived in the Mirkwood. I don't still have it, but I balanced it around Trolls and it was obviously suicidally hard to fight, but very, very easy to outsmart and avoid. Tree trunk club, rancid hide clothes is how I did it. If I remember right Stone Giants aren't that dumb though, or at least can be negotiated with/bribed.

Xelforp

Sat 07 May 2022, 15:37

Are there any stats for the Misty Mountains stone giants? How big can they be? Are we talking 10-20 meters? Are they nude or wearing some kind of hide clothes?

Me too! :)
I'm just hoping they'll appear in clothes... :D

gyrovague

Sat 07 May 2022, 18:24

I probably wouldn’t stat them as adversaries.

eternalsage

Thu 12 May 2022, 21:59

First off, I want to say that I am NOT telling anyone what to play or how to have fun, lol. Just weighing in from the source material.

The Hobbit was not originally intended to be part of the Legendarium, and as such it contains more than a few points that are pretty dubious given what we know otherwise. This is one of those times. Giants are never again mentioned in the Legendarium, even in passing, even in LotR. I personally explain this discrepancy with the idea that they were EITHER trolls or completely metaphorical (a colorful description of a really powerful storm).

When discussing the Legendarium in general, I err on the metaphorical, but in game I would probably consider them trolls. Then again as in, the very nature of trolls changes between the Hobbit and LotR (and the wider Legendarium) so again, I personally chalk it up to Bilbo telling tall tales and the turning to stone was actually something Gandalf did, which Gandalf humored him by never correcting. Seems like a Gandalf move lol.

Anyway, just some stuff to consider!
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King

Otaku-sempai

Fri 13 May 2022, 00:45

First off, I want to say that I am NOT telling anyone what to play or how to have fun, lol. Just weighing in from the source material.
The Hobbit was not originally intended to be part of the Legendarium, and as such it contains more than a few points that are pretty dubious given what we know otherwise. This is one of those times. Giants are never again mentioned in the Legendarium, even in passing, even in LotR. I personally explain this discrepancy with the idea that they were EITHER trolls or completely metaphorical (a colorful description of a really powerful storm).
I wouldn't go quite that far. We do have the sighting of a giant "up away beyond the North Moors" made by Samwise's cousin Hal. It's long been speculated that the so-called "Tree-man" was possibly an Ent (or even an Entwife), but that has never been confirmed: "But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking--walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch." And it's pretty clear that the stone-giants of the Misty Mountains were not intended to be metaphorical, as Gandalf spoke of hoping to find a more-or-less friendly one to assist him later in blocking up the back door of the goblins.
When discussing the Legendarium in general, I err on the metaphorical, but in game I would probably consider them trolls. Then again as in, the very nature of trolls changes between the Hobbit and LotR (and the wider Legendarium) so again, I personally chalk it up to Bilbo telling tall tales and the turning to stone was actually something Gandalf did, which Gandalf humored him by never correcting. Seems like a Gandalf move lol.
Anyway, just some stuff to consider!
Trolls turning to stone in daylight seems to be pretty well-accepted lore in Middle-earth; I find no reason to doubt it. Giants seem to be in a category all to themselves, seemingly much larger than any kind of troll that we know of. Perhaps they are elemental entities given physical form, unaligned with either light or Shadow.
#FideltyToTolkien