roney
Topic Author

Rule question: Fire at prone character

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 11:54

Is the -1 modifier the only change compared to shooting at a standing enemy according to the rules? I feel like there should be more to this, like some hit locations would mean a miss, but I can't find anything in the rules.

I.e. if target was prone and facing an attacker shooting at him from a few hexes away the target area would be quite smaller than if he was standing up. I would think that rolling 1 (legs) and 2-3 (lower to mid torso) on hit location die = miss but close enough to cause possible Suppression.

leonpoi

Re: Rule question: Fire at prone character

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 03:22

I don’t think the game models this in this way. It’s a good point though and one that maybe you could house rule.

Eg roll to hit as normal - no penalty. Roll to hit location and eg count leg hits as missing. Something like that

roney
Topic Author

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 09:54

I don’t think the game models this in this way. It’s a good point though and one that maybe you could house rule.

Eg roll to hit as normal - no penalty. Roll to hit location and eg count leg hits as missing. Something like that
I'll probably do that. I haven't played Twilight since mid 90s but I recall that was the rule in the earlier editions. But maybe that was just a house rule back then also.

baldrick0712

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 14:18

As the -1 modifier for being prone doesn't apply when the target is in the same hex as the shooter, changing the modifier to a restriction on valid hit locations should respect this also (e.g. if shooting at target in the same hex, all hit locations are valid).

sgt

Wed 27 Apr 2022, 16:30

I.e. if target was prone and facing an attacker shooting at him from a few hexes away the target area would be quite smaller than if he was standing up.
RAW do not have facing for persons, excluding cover. You'd need new rules for this and I don't think it's worth it.

atraangelis

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 14:54

I agree too much complication for a close range gun fight,
Prone or not, a high caliber round at <10m range will rip through the arm/upper torso to hit a leg/lower torso. No need for extra complexity or dice mechanics.

The rules as written are sufficient IMHO.
"Peace through superior firepower"

leonpoi

Sat 30 Apr 2022, 00:11

Yes. It’s the original earlier version way of handling it.

I'll probably do that. I haven't played Twilight since mid 90s but I recall that was the rule in the earlier editions. But maybe that was just a house rule back then also.