dkdi3983

Re: Ruins of the Lost Realm Beta PDF Feedback

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 03:05

The PDF bookmark for Chapter 3: Landmarks → The Queen's Hall points to p. 78, but that landmark's description actually starts on p. 79. The bookmark should be updated to point to p. 79.

William

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 12:08

Two tiny details, just to make sure.

The title Captain of the Haven: This was the title given to the leader of the Corsairs of Umbar in the Third Age. Aragorn defeated him and his fleet (Appendix A: Annals of the Kings and Rulers). Maybe this was a deliberate choice, but I wanted to remind you in case it's not.

The Adûnaic word Kâthuphazgân: A circumflex above a letter denotes a long vowel in Adûnaic (Silmarillion: Note on Pronunciation). The word Kathuphazgân is mentioned by Tolkien in Sauron Defeated, but I believe only the last vowel (- gân) is circumflexed. Maybe there's a perfectly good reason why (Adûnaic isn't my strongest suit...), but I thought I should mention it.

gyrovague

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 20:28

Nevermind, not a typo.

The only typos I've found so far are all grammar errors involving case. Some are debatable.

Page 11, 2nd Column, 2nd Paragraph
“But if one was to look” should be “if one were to look”
“Those are all that remains” should be “remain”.

Page 12
“Earth and soil and stone was dumped” should be “were dumped” (unless one thinks of "earth and soil and stone" as one thing)

Page 15
“ensuring that none of them replaces him as Captain.” “replace” (again, an argument could be made for replaces, but not a good argument, imo)

After that I stopped writing them down.

ErikSonOfEliah

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 19:10

There is information about Saruman on pages 40 and 41, but he still appears to be missing any kind of formal NPC description like every other NPC in the book.

Turkalin

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 19:54

Hi, these are the errors I found. Some are debatable but I'll list them here and it's your call...

- Page 25, THE DRAGONTOWER box "(..) in the tower is a sword made long long ago". This should be "long, long ago", with a comma, as you can find with the correct punctuation on page 66, 3. THE CAVES: "(..) Some drawings show dark mountains under a dark sky, and whips of flame: memories of the wars with Morgoth, long, long ago.". But maybe this is a stylistic choice, as this "long long ago" construction, without the comma, is used plentiful:
  • Page 46, Eater of Ghosts: "(..) she remembers the Men who built the fortress, long long ago,"
  • Page 69, HEALING THE WOODS box: "(..) The wood was wounded long long ago, by the cruel greed of Númenor;"
  • Page 114, Background: "(..) In times past, other folk dwelt here — long long ago, the Men who lived in these lands (..)"

- Page 25, Lord Mjolin, Master of Harmelt. "Without gold, Harmelt will dwindle, and the family lose its place of prestige among the Dwarves of the Ered Luin." I think it's "will lose".

- Page 39, 2971: RITES IN THE BARROW-DOWNS: "Usapthon travels to the ruins of Tyrn Gothad", the correct spelling is Tyrn Gorthad. On page 80, it's right: "Two ancient statues, salvaged from ruins in Tyrn Gorthad by adventuring knights, stand watch.".

- Page 71, Background: "(..) a creature still obeying the commands it received centuries before from the Dark Lord.". Shouldn't it be "ago"?

- Page 97, on the image of the map, its leftmost marking should be "2", not "3".

- Page 117, SPIES AND UNFRIENDLY EYES: "The attention of Mordor is focussed on the south (..)", it should be "focused".

- Page 119, The One Ring Errata, "PAGES 154: (..)", should be "PAGE 154", singular, or, as in the original errata post, "Pages 154 and 157: Replace the Strike Fear ability with (..)". I'm not sure if you still find the page 157 text as an errata or not... but if not, the reference here should be to "Page 154", not "Pages".

And what about all the typos found on the original post? (viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8806) Shouldn't they also appear in this list?

Page 17: remove the extra “when” in the Who Rolls section
Page 55: In the example, replace “If the Barding was the burglar’s Fellowship Focus” with "If the burglar was the Barding's Fellowship Focus”
Page 135: replace “is the best tool” with “are the best tool”
Page 152: for the Cave-troll Slinker replace “Used to live in…” with “Used to living in…”
Page 180: replace “ditchf” with “ditch”
Page 200: replace “returned” with “return”
Page 216: replace “three thousand” with “two thousand”
Page 224: replace “Loresmaster” with “Loremaster”

I do agree with timgray101, I don't think this is the most appropiate place to put the errata of the core book, it will be obsolete as soon as a corrected pdf is made available, and it also lacks the errata of the other products. Maybe a separate pdf with the consolidated errata of the core, starter set and screen&Rivendell booklet would be more useful to the players, and easier for you to maintain.
Last edited by Turkalin on Sun 24 Apr 2022, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

gyrovague

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 20:02

- Page 84, Falmir Fairbairns: "The other Hobbits in his company believed him ‘drownded’, (..)". I think it should be "drowned", as in "THE QUEST OF THE DROWNED" on the next column.
That’s a reference to Fellowship of the Ring. It’s how Hobbits say it.

Turkalin

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 20:09

- Page 84, Falmir Fairbairns: "The other Hobbits in his company believed him ‘drownded’, (..)". I think it should be "drowned", as in "THE QUEST OF THE DROWNED" on the next column.
That’s a reference to Fellowship of the Ring. It’s how Hobbits say it.
Ah! as a reader of the spanish version of the book, I didn't know this lovely detail, thank you for pointing it out. I'll edit my post.

Mercator

Sun 24 Apr 2022, 22:22

p.120 - the creature gains Fear of Fire on a Gandalf result, but all nameless things already have Fear of Fire, per p.232 of the main rulebook.

e.g. p.37 - Lug does not have the Hate Sunlight rule, nor do any of the other orcs in the book as far as I can see. Is that intentional? His description specifically mentions hiding from the “cursed Sun,” so it seems strange.

e.g. p.45 - Dunlendings (& possibly others?) have the ‘Fierce’ ability. In the main rulebook, the same ability is called ‘Fierce Folk’ instead.

e.g. p.45 - not a clear error, but a few adversaries have distinctive features that seem purely negative, e.g. ‘crippled.’ I understand that they are distinctive, but it’s difficult to imagine them coming up as obstacles for the players as p.144 of the main rulebook suggests.

p.11 - not a mistake as such, but the idea of a short-sighted, elderly woman regularly trying to shiv some beefy adventurer for disrespecting her books is pretty absurd.

p.12 - the description of Roper Grey as a ‘revolutionary’ comes across as anachronistic, conjuring images of late-18th to early-20th century political movements. ‘Rebel’ or ‘revolter’ would be more appropriate.

p.67, 100, 111-112, 119-120 - specification of the severity of poison is inconsistent: spiders are noted as grievous, marsh-snakes are also grievous despite snake-bites being severe in the main rulebook, and tree-men, Bùrzgul & nameless things are unspecified. I would assume that marsh-snakes are just particularly bad for snakes, and that the unspecified ones should be severe but maybe worth being explicit.

timgray101

Mon 25 Apr 2022, 11:46

Oh, following up re p45: the term 'crippled' is generally seen as offensive by the disabled community, so an alternative might be wise. (And from the character write-up, Cunning might be a better fit anyway.)

Also in Ivoch's Horrible Strength, should be scores not scored.

Elod_ChildofDust

Tue 26 Apr 2022, 02:33

Minor Lore typo, apologies if this is nitpicky

Chapter 1 page 8
..."Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the walls of Orthanc."...
The ring wall of the fortress was torn down by the Ents after the Battle of Isengard, but the tower or Orthanc was unable to be destroyed. First impression of reading it "walls of Orthanc" makes one think of the outer ring wall, not the central tower of black stone. Depending on what it is referring to, the could sentence be rephrased to.

"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same imperishable stone as the tower of Orthanc."
or
"Two mighty towers guard it, made of the same living stone (or) dark stone as the ring wall of Orthanc."