Ugglefar
Topic Author

Earth Bound & Physical Degeneration

Wed 20 Apr 2022, 21:02

Hi,

I'm about to start running Ruins of Symbaroum with my D&D group and one of them wants to play an Undead Mystic. However, she is worried that the Physical Degeneration trait will make her character to a subpar spellcaster.

I haven't really reflected a lot on if the the undead's Physical Degeneration and the dwarves' Earth Bound traits make them into worse spellcasters than the other origins. What are your opinions on the matter?

exilautor

Re: Earth Bound & Physical Degeneration

Fri 29 Jul 2022, 21:56

I asked myself the same question and found this thread ,- pitily there is no answer to it.

Regarding the Dwarf, there may be a benefit in not having to roll for Marks of corruption.

As for the Undead Mystic I find it hard to see any benefit but rather a severe punishment for this combination. Or do I get something wrong?

zook

Sun 31 Jul 2022, 02:20

It's this way by design not every class or race is equal. Both Undead and Dwarf are in original symbaroum something introduced in Advance Player Guide, so is best when you think about it as "Advance" origins.

But to be honest my players think twice before use spells no mater of origin. And IMO this way it should look, magic is dangerous in this world.

exilautor

Sun 31 Jul 2022, 18:52

Totally acceptable that there may be imbalances though I think that I have read somewhere that Undead Mystics are a (too?) powerful combination in OS. They are definitely described as typical in the APG. That's why I wonder if I got something wrong.

Jacob Rodgers

Mon 01 Aug 2022, 15:19

As for the Undead Mystic I find it hard to see any benefit but rather a severe punishment for this combination. Or do I get something wrong?
You're immortal*, sleepless and darkvision-seeing. You're also likely to deal with marks of Corruption more easily, between Twilight Tincture and your usual methods (or maybe you live in the forest and don't care what you look/smell like).

*in the sense of not dying of old age, sufficient axe swipes are a different story.