imachubchub
Topic Author

Useful Items

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 19:33

Would you allow other Player-heroes to use another hero's Useful Item?
Example, the Ranger has a Sunstone for TRAVEL rolls, but they aren't currently serving as the Guide. Could the other hero serving as the Guide, use the Ranger's Sunstone to get the (1d) bonus on their TRAVEL rolls?

Initially, I was against it, but I'm beginning to shift towards allowing this, mostly on the basis that, unlike Marvelous and Wondrous Items that are "pre-destined" towards a specific hero, Useful Items seem to be general-use and practical things that don't seem unique to a specific Culture, and thus, a specific Player-hero.
On the other hand, it might be a touch unbalancing if all the Useful Items were just a pool of items that any of the Player-heroes could draw from, at need. That said, I kind of like the narrative and practicality aspect of this.

Just curious about other Loremasters' thoughts on this. Thanks!

baldrick0712

Re: Useful Items

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 19:58

There was a long discussion about this once (can't remember where). My take on it was not to allow it, as the usefulness of the item is not just in its nature but in the trust the player-hero places in it and their skill at using it. Others had different opinions, like some sort of potential drawback for loaning an item to another (breakage or whatever).

coz_b

Sat 12 Mar 2022, 20:36

Here's an earlier thread discussing it:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8520&hilit=useful+items

imachubchub
Topic Author

Sun 13 Mar 2022, 04:09

Thanks, baldrick and coz_b. Didn't think to do a search on the General forums. Figured my question was a Loremaster's Only-type one.
That other thread gave me some great ideas though!