Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

New Rewards

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 19:33

These are mostly reskinned and rebalanced cultural rewards from 1e that I have repurposed to expand the list of possible rewards that can be given to war gear. Those in the know can re-repurpose them back into cultural rewards if they like.

I strongly suggest that the advice in the book be heeded - It is up to the players to decide whether a Reward represents the discovery of a previously unknown property of an item, or an entirely new weapon or suit of armour. Whatever their choice, they are encouraged to integrate the decisions into a narrative, telling the tale of how they received a gift or had their equipment improved. (obviously in the case of some of these options only make sense as new gear gifted to the character)

I'm also using them in conjunction with my expanded list of weapon options (which is knocking around the general forum somewhere).

On initial view they seem okay to me balance wise but I'm biased.

I am looking for some major feedback as to the balance of these options. Both balanced against each other and against the six rewards from the rule book. Some might be too good, some not good enough.

Also if you can think of any alternative names for some of them that would be cool as well, or any additional ideas for rewards.

New Rewards

Finely-made Hauberk (mail armour)
When you are on a journey wearing a Finely-made Hauberk, you roll one additional Success die whenever you are required to make a Travel test. Additionally, you may spend a point of Hope to change an eye result you get on a Travel roll into a G instead.

Sturdy Armour (armour)
If hit by a Piercing blow while wearing Sturdy Armour, your Protection test is considered Favoured.

Splendid Armour (leather armour)
When wearing Splendid Armour at a Council your Company counts the Resistance as 1 lower in regards to the number of success required and extends the time limit of the Council by +1. In addition the wearer of the armour receives inspiration on 1 roll they make during the Council (without spending a hope point).

Padded Armour (leather armour)
When making a roll using Stealth while wearing Padded Armour, your Stealth test is considered Favoured.

Scale Armour (mail armour)
Scale armour is the equivalent of a suit of mail armour, but wearing it allows you to roll one additional Success die on a Protection roll against an attack made with an edged or blunt melee weapon (swords, axes and clubs).

Well-wrought Hauberk (mail armour)
When you spend a point of Hope on a Protection test add your Strength rating to the result as well.

Gleaming Mail (mail armour)
A warrior wearing one of those coats of bright mail on the battlefield is sure to lift the hearts of his companions. When you are wearing your Gleaming Mail, you may employ the combat task Rally Comrades from a Forward stance as well as an Open stance. When you choose to do so, it only counts as a secondary action.

Blessed Armour (leather armour)
When you spend a point of Hope on a Protection test add your Heart rating to the result as well.

Imposing Helm (helm)
Awe tests are favoured for the wearer of one of these helms.

Resplendent Helm (helm)
Enhearten tests are favoured for the wearer of one of these helms.

Valiant Helm (helm)
When the wear of this helm is in a Forward stance, if their attack roll is a G they receive a bonus Success die to spend on any of your future rolls during the combat, or to give to another companion who can see them.

Spearman’s Shield (buckler)
Apply the Parry bonus of this buckler even if you are using a two-handed weapon in close combat.

Tower Shield (great shield)
When you are using a Tower Shield, your Parry bonus gets an additional +3 against ranged weapons and +1 vs other attacks.

Hardened Shield (great shield)
When you are fighting in a Forward stance carrying a Hardened Shield, if you get a G on the Feat die on an attack roll, all attacks aimed at you the following Loremaster turn are considered to fail automatically.

Strengthened Shield (shield, great shield)
When you are carrying a Strengthened Shield, if you are hit by an adversary rolling an ordinary success, reduce the Endurance loss inflicted on you by a number of points equal to the Encumbrance value of your shield.

Accurate Bow (bow, short bow)
When making a ranged attack using an Accurate Bow, add to your rolls a bonus of +2.

Agile Blade (falchion, sword, short sword)
When making a melee attack using an agile blade, reduce the Parry rating bonus of your target by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Bearded Axe (long-hafted axe)
When you spend a success icon to deliver a Heavy Blow, in addition to inflicting extra endurance loss you can also use the Shield Thrust option (as if armed with a shield).

Biting Axe (great axe)
When you are attacking an enemy with an Attribute level of 7 or less, if you get a G on the Feat die using this axe, your opponent is made Weary for the remainder of the combat.

Bitter Spear (spear, short spear)
If you get a G on the Feat die when attacking with a Bitter Spear, you get a +4 to your Injury rating.

Powerful Draw (bow, or great bow, long bow)
If you spend a success icon to deliver a heavy blow with a Blessed Bow, you add +3 to the damage instead of the usual +1 for using a two handed weapon.

Cleaving Axe (bill, great axe)
When you are attacking a foe using a Cleaving Axe, the roll of a G exposing a weak spot: in the following round, should you or your companions hit your foe with a Piercing Blow, the creature would roll a maximum of one Success die for its next Protection test.

Darting Spear (great spear)
You may spend a success icon to make a second attack roll against a different opponent.

Glinting Spear (spear)
When you use a Glinting Spear to attack an enemy for the first time in close combat you get a +4 to your Injury rating. In addition you may use the Rally Comrades task from any close combat stance.

Heart-seeker Spear (spear, short spear)
When you attack with a Heart-seeker Spear, and roll a G on the Feat die you can spend a point of Hope to automatically cause a Wound.

Heavy Blade (War Sword)
If you get a G on the Feat die when attacking with a Heavy Blade, you cause endurance damage to a different opponent as well as the first.

Light Weight Bow (bow, short bow)
You are always allowed to make one additional opening volley, even when no opening volleys are allowed (unless you are surprised). In addition you can use the Light Weight Bow in a close combat stance if you prefer (you gain the advantages and disadvantages of those stances as normal).

Master Crafted Bow (great bow, long bow)
A Master Crafted Bow has an Encumbrance value of 1 less than normal. Additionally, you can spend 2 success icons to automatically score a Piercing blow (unless an eye was rolled on the feat dice.

Quality Longbow (great bow, long bow)
When you get a G on the Feat die using a Quality Longbow, the target’s Protection test is considered ill favoured.

Penetrating Blade (short sword, throwing knife)
Spend 1 Success icon to modify the Feat die numerical result by +3 (this replaces the normal +1 for Swords).

Recurve Bow (composite bow)
When you attack using a Recurve bow, if you hit your enemy they will lose an additional number of Endurance points equal to your Valour; moreover, they will miss there next attack, unless they spend a point of Hate/Resolve.

Splitting Axe (axe or great axe)
When you get a G on the Feat die using a Splitting Axe, the target rolls one Success die less on his Protection test.

Trenchant Spear (spear, short spear)
When you make a ranged attack using a Trenchant Spear, you are favoured.

Tall Spear (great spear)
When you attack creatures greater than human-sized, the Damage rating of the Tall Spear is raised by +4. In addition when using the Fend Off action against any foe you raise your parry by +5 (rather than the usual +3 for a spear) for the round.

Unerring Axe (throwing axe, light throwing axe)
When you make a ranged attack using an Unerring Axe, you are favoured.

War Axe (great axe)
A War Axe is so well-balanced that it can be wielded by you with one hand for full effect, allowing you to use a shield as well.

Weapon of Great Lineage (spears, swords)
The best weapons are light and strong, and so well-balanced that a skilled warrior can easily answer to the blows of the enemy with quick counter-attacks. When you are wielding a Weapon of Great Lineage and you are hit by an attack you in turn deal a loss of Endurance equal to 3 or your Valour rating (whichever is higher) to your attacker.

Feedback welcome. D I likely missed a few broken combos that need addressing.
Last edited by Aiden Harrison on Sat 19 Feb 2022, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Inculta

Re: New Rewards

Fri 11 Feb 2022, 01:45

I like these!

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 19:53

So... Any feedback from anyone?

Maybe I should have posted this in general...

Dunheved

Fri 18 Feb 2022, 08:59

I read these when you posted them first AH. (There were so many it was a bit overwhelming to consider one against the other, hence my delay in responding to your request.)

They seem fine and do remind me of several of the 1e bonusses/rewards.

One thing that would assist analysis for me would be if a similar benefit is applied, then a similar labels can be used. And if a label is used, then it creates a similar benefit.
E.g. blessed armour adds Heart rating but blessed bow adds +3 for a Success icon.

With the following three spear types, the benefits are very similar: Bitter spear; Glinting Spear; Heart seeker Spear. But I guess they were in 1e.
EDIT The Finely Made Hauberk probably should not have a limit of Success dice applied (this limit is not used in TOR2e)

(With my personal aversion to the general overpowering effect of axes in 2e I don't like the War Axe, but that is a personal gripe, not a criticism of such a mechanism!)

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Sat 19 Feb 2022, 19:57

I read these when you posted them first AH. (There were so many it was a bit overwhelming to consider one against the other, hence my delay in responding to your request.)

They seem fine and do remind me of several of the 1e bonusses/rewards.

One thing that would assist analysis for me would be if a similar benefit is applied, then a similar labels can be used. And if a label is used, then it creates a similar benefit.
E.g. blessed armour adds Heart rating but blessed bow adds +3 for a Success icon.

With the following three spear types, the benefits are very similar: Bitter spear; Glinting Spear; Heart seeker Spear. But I guess they were in 1e.
EDIT The Finely Made Hauberk probably should not have a limit of Success dice applied (this limit is not used in TOR2e)

(With my personal aversion to the general overpowering effect of axes in 2e I don't like the War Axe, but that is a personal gripe, not a criticism of such a mechanism!)
Good point about the naming convention, I 'll come up with an alternative for one of them.
Yeah I noticed the spears were very similiar when I did them. Anyone got any idea for tweaks?
Good catch about the success dice limit, well spotted.

Thanks D

Harlath

Sat 19 Feb 2022, 22:08

Apologies if these are terse, lots to get through! Someone else spotted the issue with unneeded limit on success dice.

These might make good rewards in 2e, similar to the Archet Bow in the core rulebook.

Some of the commentary below is "niche protection" as various rewards listed here step on existing 2e Cultural Territory. Hints at part of the reason for doing away with Cultural Rewards in 2e, gives more design space elsewhere to make Cultures special while giving broad combat options via Rewards, Famous Weapons/Armour and 2e's Cultural Rewards like the Archet Bow. Suspect we'll see more things like the Archet bow.

Sturdy armour: consider dropping or changing, as this is better than the 2e Dwarf Cultural Virtue that does the same thing.

Various items that make a skill test favoured: there Virtue in 2e that makes something favoured now makes two skills favoured, so less need for these rewards. Unless you want to offer them as options for people who want to spend rewards on non-combat uses, but only getting one skill not two is part of the price for buying this with Valour rather than Wisdom?

Recurve bow: Strictly superior to Grievous and will nearly always be strictly superior to Dwarven Superior Grievous item and is stictly superior to Numenorean Grievous Superior Weapons.

Splendid Armour: massive difference in Council maths. I'd benchmark it off Beauty of the Stars virtue and Friendly and Familiar in 2e.

Tower Shield: strictly better than Reinforced, consider reworking.

Gleaming Mail: consider reworking, treads on Ranger of the North Cultural Virtue.

Accurate Bow: drop, Archet Bow is in 2e and occupies the same mechanical niche.

Bitter Spear: could integrate with 2e's Pierce mechanics in some way, so spending 6s on pierce can help boost Injury rating? Good to build on existing mechanics.

Light Weight Bow: mechanics covered by an existing Magical Reward in 2e.

Trenchant Spear/Unerring Axe: Favoured on ranged attacks is a Hobbit mechanical niche in 2e.

War Axe: seems very strong benchmarking against reinforced/Nimbleness, giving a lot of parry relative to those at only the cost of extra fatigue.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Sun 20 Feb 2022, 13:48

Thanks Harleth that gives me plenty to think about.

Better put my thinking cap on.

Harlath

Sun 20 Feb 2022, 15:05

Thanks Harleth that gives me plenty to think about.

Better put my thinking cap on.
Hope it is helpful! Clearly you put a lot of hard work in to this, just trying to go over things with balance and 2e's mechanical framework in mind. Plus some "niche protection" - don't want a situation where everyone has better protection Reward than Drawves get via Virtue.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Mon 28 Feb 2022, 19:47

This is my new take on the issues raised by Harlath.

'These might make good rewards in 2e, similar to the Archet Bow in the core rulebook.'

This is a very good idea. Having them be tied to a cultural gift type mechanic would certainly bring them back closer to their Cultural Rewards heritage. Not even sure if it needs a mechanic as such, rather they are locked behind story requirements.

'Sturdy armour: consider dropping or changing, as this is better than the 2e Dwarf Cultural Virtue that does the same thing.'

NEW VERSION

Sturdy Armour (armour)
If hit by a Piercing blow which wounds you, reduce the wound severity roll by -3 to a minimum of 1. An eye result is still a Grievous Injury.

'Various items that make a skill test favoured: there Virtue in 2e that makes something favoured now makes two skills favoured, so less need for these rewards. Unless you want to offer them as options for people who want to spend rewards on non-combat uses, but only getting one skill not two is part of the price for buying this with Valour rather than Wisdom?'

I see your point about only getting one skill vs two. Though as a counterpoint - you are still getting the benefit of actually having the items normal utility as well. I think they can remain the same... giving them another bonus or buff would be too much.

'Recurve bow: Strictly superior to Grievous and will nearly always be strictly superior to Dwarven Superior Grievous item and is stictly superior to Numenorean Grievous Superior Weapons.'

This is certainly an item that should be treated like the Archet Bow, it is intended to be a superior version of a rare weapon from the East (a composite bow). It likely needs a bit of a roleplaying/backstory to get your hands on one. Will have to ponder further.

'Splendid Armour: massive difference in Council maths. I'd benchmark it off Beauty of the Stars virtue and Friendly and Familiar in 2e.'

NEW VERSION
Splendid Armour (leather armour)
When wearing Splendid Armour at a Council and acting as a spokesman for the party, your Company counts the Resistance as 1 lower in regards to the number of success required. In addition the wearer of the armour receives inspiration on 1 roll they make during the Council (without spending a hope point).

This is balanced better against the two cultural virtues.

'Tower Shield: strictly better than Reinforced, consider reworking.'

NEW VERSION
Tower Shield (great shield)
When you are using a Tower Shield, your Parry bonus gets an additional +3 against ranged weapons.

'Gleaming Mail: consider reworking, treads on Ranger of the North Cultural Virtue.'

NEW VERSION

Gleaming Mail (mail armour)
A warrior wearing one of those coats of bright mail on the battlefield is sure to lift the hearts of his companions. When you are wearing your Gleaming Mail, once per combat you may employ the combat task Rally Comrades from a Forward stance as well as an Open stance – When you choose to do so, it only counts as a secondary action.

'Accurate Bow: drop, Archet Bow is in 2e and occupies the same mechanical niche.'
Good Point

'Bitter Spear: could integrate with 2e's Pierce mechanics in some way, so spending 6s on pierce can help boost Injury rating? Good to build on existing mechanics.'

NEW VERSION
Bitter Spear (spear, short spear)
If you get a G on the Feat die when attacking with a Bitter Spear, you can spend a success icon to add +4 to your Injury rating.

'Light Weight Bow: mechanics covered by an existing Magical Reward in 2e.'

Yes the Hollow Steel Bow has the same ability - Pretty lacklustre for a magical quality in my opinion. But this would allow a Light Weight Hollow Steel Bow - That could be fun. Another difference is that the Hollow Steel can be any bow while this is limited to short bow and bow. I’m unsure on this one.

'Trenchant Spear/Unerring Axe: Favoured on ranged attacks is a Hobbit mechanical niche in 2e'.

I disagree with it being a Hobbit only niche. It is only available on thrown weapons, which does limit them anyway. It gives a nice option for those who want to invest in such weapons. (Probably won’t be picked often)

'War Axe: seems very strong benchmarking against reinforced/Nimbleness, giving a lot of parry relative to those at only the cost of extra fatigue.'

Yeah it probably is too good (was in 1e, I suppose)

NEW VERSION
????? Not sure yet.

Thanks again for the feedback Harlath.
If anyone has any feedback on these new versions or an idea for the War Axe, please feel free to comment. Ideas are welcome.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Mon 07 Mar 2022, 20:00

So any feedback anyone?

Would people use these?
Any more glaring issues?
More info on locking them behind cultural favours needed?