JEP70

Re: Beta Feedback - Mythic Britain & Ireland

Sat 05 Feb 2022, 17:25

Page 91, column 2, replace “ton” with “to” in this part of the sentence: “...into the police station ton free Billy.“

Page 113, column 2, place a period after “good” in this part of the “Catastrophe” para: “...closing it for good Alternatively…”

Page 120, column 1, perhaps consider changing the name of the postmaster’s wife to something else? I could see my players becoming confused between the mine owner Myfanwy Thomas and the postmaster’s spouse Myfanwy Jeffreys. It will be simple enough for me to swap out the names in game prep or just refer to both as Mrs. Thomas and Mrs. Jeffreys, but I thought I’d suggest it for you to consider.

Page 123, column 2, change “they” to “the” in this sentence: “Taking care to stay out of sight, they coblynau…”

Page 124, column 1, change “that” to “than” in this sentence: “He remembers more of the story that Dai does…”

Page 125, column 1, change “they” to “the” at the beginning of this sentence: “They best way to do this…”
– Column 2, remove the second period from the end of this sentence: “out of operation permanently. .”

Page 134, column 2 the third clue: I don’t follow the logic between the removal of the iron fence and the connection to the fey aversion to Christianity, unless you add a detail that the wrought iron fence was topped with gilded crosses or such like. I defer to your bibliography but I believe the fey aversion to iron dated to pagan Iron Age beliefs later adapted by the church for its own purposes. I suggest it would be easier to change the text to note the fey aversion to iron, perhaps like this: “Astute characters will recognize the aversion to iron as common among fey…”

Page 136, column 2, change “on” to “in” in this sentence: “...spending a night on the cells…”

Amarwen

Sat 05 Feb 2022, 17:50

I'm sorry if it is not considered an error, but

p. 48 the handwritten text above the NEW ARCHETYPES section looks crooked.

maniacalinc

Sat 05 Feb 2022, 18:34

Page 15 - "founded by the Vikings/Norse". I made this suggestion in the last thread but should have been clearer; the term "Norwegians" should have been replaced with either "the Vikings" OR something like "the Norse". I would suggest "founded by Vikings".
Page 54 - "Despite a name that translates from Scots and Irish Gaelic..." Change to "Irish and Scots Gaelic". Scots is a West Germanic language and Irish is the correct name, in English, for the Irish language.

As addressed by LughLonghand in their previous comment and locked thread, I'm also disappointed by the liberal use of "British Isles" as though it is an absolute and without any qualifying statement on how this term is considered by the Irish, but also by many in Scotland, Wales, Mann and Cornwall. I understand that "This has already been pointed out and doesn't need to be pointed out again" but does that mean a qualifying statement will be added, that the term will be reworked or that it will be left as is? I'll fully accept whatever the choice is but it would be nice to get some clarity instead of "don't point this out again". Same with some suggestions I made in the last thread, such as using the Irish instead of the Anglicized spelling of Fionn mac Cumhaill. I don't know if my suggestion was seen and a decision was made to go with the Anglicized spelling or if it was missed and I should make it again.

Fenhorn

Sat 05 Feb 2022, 19:43

<>
As addressed by LughLonghand in their previous comment and locked thread, I'm also disappointed by the liberal use of "British Isles" as though it is an absolute and without any qualifying statement on how this term is considered by the Irish, but also by many in Scotland, Wales, Mann and Cornwall. I understand that "This has already been pointed out and doesn't need to be pointed out again" but does that mean a qualifying statement will be added, that the term will be reworked or that it will be left as is? I'll fully accept whatever the choice is but it would be nice to get some clarity instead of "don't point this out again". <>
Moderator Message: This was pointed out in another thread (Free League even commented on that) and now here. Free League will see this (again), so please don't point this out again or I will start looking for other things to do with my moderating time than writing in nice warm colours. Thanks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

thelibrarian

Sun 06 Feb 2022, 00:04

Page 133, map of Hampstead - "East Heath Road" label immediately beneath the "Hampstead Heath" label, middle right-hand side, is misspelled "East Heat Road".

Nils
Site Admin

Sun 06 Feb 2022, 00:46

Regarding British Isles, we are changing it and meant to do that for the Beta. However, as it was reported outside the feedback thread it was missed (by me). Sorry about that!
Fria Ligan

Vanitoburrito

Mon 07 Feb 2022, 12:20

Not sure about this one but on page 46 you got the text box for the sports and their main skills. I don't want to start a discussion but I am wondering if the main skill for boxing shouldn't be force instead of close combat since you state force for fighting unarmed in the core rulebook and close combat for fighting with melee weapons. Maybe same for wrestling. Just wanted to point that out.

Ftahleson

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 08:14

Now that the Late Backer has already opened up, will those of us that got in on that have access to early PDFs too?
I would ask on KS but you don't get access to the updates or backer only posts there as a late backer.
I felt this was appropriate to ask in the Feedback Thread as it might open the project up to fresh eyes to give more input later i it comes up.

Thanks for the great game,
Regards

Fenhorn

Thu 10 Feb 2022, 09:21

Now that the Late Backer has already opened up, will those of us that got in on that have access to early PDFs too?
I would ask on KS but you don't get access to the updates or backer only posts there as a late backer.
I felt this was appropriate to ask in the Feedback Thread as it might open the project up to fresh eyes to give more input later i it comes up.

Thanks for the great game,
Regards
Late pledgers will have to email FL and ask them about that directly
support@frialigan.se
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Sun 06 Mar 2022, 13:37

I note, just for the record, that the text description for the Nuckelavee has been redacted so as to no longer be in direct contradiction to the image.

Which of course could be construed as an “improvement”, in some sense.

However, I must as a direct consequence also note — also just for the record — that the creature in question thereby no longer is the Nuckelavee. Rather, some heretofore unknown daemonic centaur.

Pity it clearly was too much of a hassle to have Egerkrans draft a new image to this entry.

For my own part — since we apparently are being very sensitive to these kinds of contemporary separatist/nationalist sentiments now — I wouldn't be entirely sure that people native to the lands in question will be all that chuffed about having such a fairly well-defined entity, properly belonging to Scottish/Orcadian folklore, be thus, well ... appropriated. For no better reason than mere convenience, to boot.

If it is important for Ligan to expunge the term “British Isles” from a fairy-tale 19th Century British setting just to pander to modern real-world nationalist political preferences, surely it can be no less important to treat the folklore of those same concerned regions with respect?

In this particular instance, the C&S European Folklore Bestiary did a rather better job, alas.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion