BytomMan
Topic Author

Replacement Characters

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 19:07

Just wondering how everyone runs replacement characters (new players or after an experience character has died) in an ongoing campaign where the rest of the party has been adventuring for a while. Do you have them start as beginners or give them some additional points right off the bat to bump them up so that they’re a little closer but not necessarily as experienced as the experienced characters?

Arnold

Re: Replacement Characters

Thu 24 Feb 2022, 23:14

The campaign the ravens purge is so long and epic with so many adventure sites and NPC, that my chars all have developed a second character so that they could switch between them. If one dies, it is not such a problem because there is the other one.
Until now, no one has died so far, but if it would happen, the newbee would have some XP from the beginning.

Melvin

Fri 25 Feb 2022, 17:43

I did give the same amount of XP to the new character. My Bitter Reach campaign with 5 PC had only one that survived all the adventures. The others did make a new one (or two for some of them). The equipment on the other hand wasnt magical or of greater quality, but i let them take the stuff they wanted (even a plate armor).

I would rather discuss this with the table personally. For a grittier game you could force them to restart from the beginning. But can be frustrating...

BrotherB

Mon 28 Feb 2022, 15:37

In our campagin we saved 75% of The gain exp from every session. When someone dies or joins as a new player they can chose if they wanna go raw or pick up the exp pot.

We played för almost two years now, ravens purge. Some of The player wanted to start raw and fresh just because they feelt to strong.
Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.