Ser Stevos
Topic Author

Town Maps

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 00:18

Does anyone have a good source of pretty simple looking pre-made town maps? Something with just buildings and roads and no much marked on it. How do you handle drawing up a modern town map for your campaigns? I want to do a story-arch focused around the characters scavenging in a small town. Plenty of experience drawing up fantasy town maps but nothing like this!

omnipus

Re: Town Maps

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 04:03

What I usually do: aerial photos from Bing or Google (whichever is better in that particular area) or just OSM, then sketch/paint over for both style and to add post-war vibes to it, and get rid of anything too modern. Usually helps to find an older town or part of town. If you're feeling ambitious, you can compare the imagery against period correct topo maps -- this is what I did for my Bełchatów map.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

AEB

Re: Town Maps

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 04:10

Modern towns are large enough that making a full map is beyond most cheap mapping software designed for fantasy mapping.

But what we do have is aerial maps and full street maps of the whole world available.

I have posted this before - a full road map of Europe.

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Pr%C4% ... &scale_to=

Housing in 1997 Polish town centres will mostly be Soviet era multistory appartment blocks. The outskirts will be small houses surrounded by yards. The roads will be poorer than many seen today.

Zoom in on the maps linked above and you can see the outlines of major buildings.