Falenthal

Re: Official Errata and FAQ Thread

Fri 18 Feb 2022, 15:04

Page 113 of the Core Book says that, when resolving an Event during a Journey:
ROADS AND HARD TERRAIN: If the event takes place in a hex suggesting a hard terrain, the Player-hero making the roll loses (1d).
Is "a hex suggesting hard terrain" up to the LM (mountains, marshes, perilous woods)?
Or do only Perilous Locations (page 111) apply?
P111:
If, at the end of the journey, the Loremaster and the players wish to know precisely how long the
Company has been travelling, they can check the region map
and count the number of hexes in the Company’s journey
path, adding 1 day for each hex suggesting a hard terrain
(hills, woods, marshes, etc.) — the resulting total is the length
of the journey in days.

Thanks!
It seems it is up to the LM, althought the situations where a hex can be considered hard are clear.

Pariah

Sat 19 Feb 2022, 12:51

I may be a bit too late, but anyway
Starter Set

The Rules p 17
"The characteristics of all war gear carried by the Pregenerated Heroes are detailed on their character sheet, or on the illustrated Item Cards [...]"
There is no information about the six hobbit characters possessing any war gear. So how could the fight the adversary in The Adventures p 14 ?
See "Bilbo's Gear" box, The Adventures p.11

The Rules p 19
"The Loremaster may require the Player-heroes ro make a roll [...]"
Change to "to"
You are right

Character Sheets
There is a box for "Fatigue" on the sheets, but no explanation of Fatigue in The Rules
See "Hobbit Walks", The Shire p.10

Mercator

Sat 19 Feb 2022, 16:26

- [Core Rulebook p.146] Should the Southerner Champion have Yell of Triumph? All of the other leader-ish characters do, it seems strange for him to be the odd one out.
- [e.g. Core Rulebook p.195] Do unique/named enemies have all of the standard traits for their race? e.g. Does the Wight-king have Deathless, Heartless & Strike Fear?
- [Rivendell p.10] Does Beset by Woe means that Shadow can only be removed at Yule, or just that it cannot be removed in non-Yule fellowship phases? i.e. Can High Elves remove Shadow through Harden Will & Madness?
- [Rivedell p.5] In Elrond's house, the floor levels go 12 = 11 = lower part of 14 < upper part of 14 = small unlabelled room = 12. What's an appropriate number of Shadow Points for a character who discovers Elrond's meddling with the laws of nature?
- [Core Rulebook p.144] Does a seized character have to be paired up with the enemy who is seizing him?

Thanks!

Max Headroom

Sun 20 Feb 2022, 19:14

I may be a bit too late, but anyway

A wizard is never late!

Thanks for pointing me to the explanations. I hadn't read everything yet and thought the answers should be in The Rules. But it's fine either way.

coz_b

Sat 26 Feb 2022, 21:39

Ranger's HEIR OF ARNOR Virtue needs some clarification.

"With the help of the Loremaster, use the rules on page 161 to create either a Marvellous Artefact, or a Famous Weapon possessing a single Enchanted Reward. The item is generally of Númenórean craftsmanship, but might even be of Elven or Dwarven make." (p. 89)

Here, the text specifically mentions "a single" Enchanted Reward on a weapon. Does it not then follow the same rules listed on page 163, where it says:

"Generally, a famous weapon or piece of defensive gear should feature a maximum of 3 qualities, and must include a minimum of one Enchanted Reward."

Does the HEIR OF ARNOR only allow you to choose one Enchanted Reward, and not the 3 qualities? And what about Banes? How should this be interpreted?

Mercator

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 14:18

Ranger's HEIR OF ARNOR Virtue needs some clarification.

"With the help of the Loremaster, use the rules on page 161 to create either a Marvellous Artefact, or a Famous Weapon possessing a single Enchanted Reward. The item is generally of Númenórean craftsmanship, but might even be of Elven or Dwarven make." (p. 89)

Here, the text specifically mentions "a single" Enchanted Reward on a weapon. Does it not then follow the same rules listed on page 163, where it says:

"Generally, a famous weapon or piece of defensive gear should feature a maximum of 3 qualities, and must include a minimum of one Enchanted Reward."

Does the HEIR OF ARNOR only allow you to choose one Enchanted Reward, and not the 3 qualities? And what about Banes? How should this be interpreted?
This is pretty clear. Qualities = rewards & enchanted rewards, so the weapon has a single enchanted reward & nothing else. It would have banes as normal for its make (since they do nothing outside of the enchanted reward effect). My only question would be whether you can later upgrade the weapon with normal rewards from levelling up valour - I would think no?

Niallism

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 18:29

If it has one enchanted quality, that is unlocked automatically. It has no other qualities to be unlocked with Valour.

Fedifensor

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 18:46

This is pretty clear. Qualities = rewards & enchanted rewards, so the weapon has a single enchanted reward & nothing else. It would have banes as normal for its make (since they do nothing outside of the enchanted reward effect). My only question would be whether you can later upgrade the weapon with normal rewards from levelling up valour - I would think no?
I think the fact that there is only one Enchanted Reward is pretty clear. Since it didn’t say, “one Quality” in the text, that is less clear. The other option is a Marvellous Artifact, which only has one Skill boost, so they may indeed mean one Quality.

If it is indeed a single quality that is an Enchanted Reward, I see many rangers choosing a coat of mail with the Mithral Armor quality…even though that means the Endurance of the Ranger Cultural Virtue becomes useless to them. That’s as good as Ancient Cunning Make with a 6 Valour.

The only advantage of Heir of Arnor is that you get to pick and choose what you want…but you’re paying for the privilege. How valuable that is depends on how generous your Loremaster is with magical treasures.

fyrissian

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 22:21

Question about orc-axe (p. 149). Great Orc Bodyguard has orc-axe 3 (3/18, Break Shield), etc. Generally the orc-weapons are comparable to standard weapons, but this axe does 2 less damage than the lowly Axe. Typo? I'm house-ruling orc-axe as 5/18 until further notice.

Puckohue

Sun 27 Feb 2022, 22:24

Regarding experience (p. 55):
In game terms, players earn points at the end of each session and at the end of the Adventuring Phase. (my emphasis)
In the following text I can't find anything on getting points at the end of the Adventuring Phase.