Rafamir

Re: Official Errata and FAQ Thread

Mon 07 Feb 2022, 08:40

I would like to see a quick start guide (one page) on creating a new character. Something to hand to new players. There seems to be a lot of need to flip between sections to figure out character development. While I understand why attributes are not just 14 points divided into 3 stats and why skills are not just a set amount of points slotted - all race dependent - it means having the book available to all players. It would also be good to make clear up front and center, the calculation of TN scores. Now only found on page 18 in two paragraphs - using 20 or 18 - and no where else. I think getting new players into the game quicker and easier would facilitate them enjoying the experience more.
Unless and until they make something official, check out this one-pager I put together: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r2cg6r0x09ko ... t.pdf?dl=0

It does not summarize any of the Cultural starting skills or Virtues, which would require a second sheet at the very least, but it brings together the main steps.

timgray101

Tue 08 Feb 2022, 12:59

I would like to see a quick start guide (one page) on creating a new character. Something to hand to new players. There seems to be a lot of need to flip between sections to figure out character development. While I understand why attributes are not just 14 points divided into 3 stats and why skills are not just a set amount of points slotted - all race dependent - it means having the book available to all players. It would also be good to make clear up front and center, the calculation of TN scores. Now only found on page 18 in two paragraphs - using 20 or 18 - and no where else. I think getting new players into the game quicker and easier would facilitate them enjoying the experience more.

Have you seen the summary of the character creation process on p28? It sets out the steps clearly, including calculating TNs. (Also covered on p29.)

If I run it, I'll pull out the culture spreads as handout pdfs for private use.

(Ed: Rafamir's sheet is pretty handy - thanks!)

Max Headroom

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 12:16

Starter Set

The Rules p 17
"The characteristics of all war gear carried by the Pregenerated Heroes are detailed on their character sheet, or on the illustrated Item Cards [...]"
There is no information about the six hobbit characters possessing any war gear. So how could the fight the adversary in The Adventures p 14 ?

The Rules p 19
"The Loremaster may require the Player-heroes ro make a roll [...]"
Change to "to"

Character Sheets
There is a box for "Fatigue" on the sheets, but no explanation of Fatigue in The Rules

Antaean

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 07:56

Great Cave Troll on page 152: Replace the Strike Fear ability with the following:

“Thing of Terror. At the start of the first round of the battle all Player-heroes in sight gain 2 Shadow points (Dread). Those who fail their Shadow test are daunted and cannot spend Hope for the rest of the fight.”

This brings the Great Cave Trolls ability into line with the other official changes made to strike fear.

Also, can we clarify how this ability works when facing multiple foes of the same or different types who have it?

- if facing a murk dweller and a great cave troll, would the player characters perform 2 Shadow tests (for 2 and 3 Shadow points) or would the stronger ability (Murk Dwellers) be used and a single Shadow test against 3 Shadow points performed?

- If facing 4 Murk Dwellers, would there be a single Shadow test versus 3 Shadow points or 4 Shadow tests?

It would be logical to me that the Thing of Terror test applies only once at the start of combat using the strongest version of the ability shared by all creatures. After all, if seeing the mustering of a Shadow army causes 4 Shadow (page 138) then 2 murk dwellers should not cause more (no disrespect intended to Mr. Dweller or members of his extended family).

If this could be clarified officially it would be appreciated (and apologies in advance if this has already been clarified already).

Falenthal

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 10:59

Strike Fear:
Can we clarify how this ability works when facing multiple foes of the same or different types who have it?

- if facing a murk dweller and a great cave troll, would the player characters perform 2 Shadow tests (for 2 and 3 Shadow points) or would the stronger ability (Murk Dwellers) be used and a single Shadow test against 3 Shadow points performed?

- If facing 4 Murk Dwellers, would there be a single Shadow test versus 3 Shadow points or 4 Shadow tests?
Absolutely agree with the petition here.
Thing of Terror seems to exist no more as a Fell Ability, having been entirely substituted for Strike Fear (AFAIK). But as the current version of the Core Book still has some instances where Thing of Terror appears, we cannot be sure of it.

Falenthal

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 19:06

The description of the Virtue "Dour-handed" on page 80 says:
  • When inflicting Special Damage in combat, add +1 to your STRENGTH rating on a Heavy Blow, and +1 to the Feat Die numerical result on a Pierce.

The summary of Virtues for character creation, on page 51, only says:
  • 2. Dour-handed — Add +1 to the damage inflicted on a Heavy Blow.

Is the "and +1 to the Feat Die numerical result on a Pierce." an effect of this Virtue or is it not?

Kaybe

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 20:53

Question: are these Errata for the early access PDFs or are all these errors in the print version currently in stores also?

steviewevie

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 22:24

Question: are these Errata for the early access PDFs or are all these errors in the print version currently in stores also?
For the current PDFs and the print editions too.

Falenthal

Fri 18 Feb 2022, 14:02

Page 113 of the Core Book says that, when resolving an Event during a Journey:
ROADS AND HARD TERRAIN: If the event takes place in a hex suggesting a hard terrain, the Player-hero making the roll loses (1d).
Is "a hex suggesting hard terrain" up to the LM (mountains, marshes, perilous woods)?
Or do only Perilous Locations (page 111) apply?

Niallism

Fri 18 Feb 2022, 14:33

Page 113 of the Core Book says that, when resolving an Event during a Journey:
ROADS AND HARD TERRAIN: If the event takes place in a hex suggesting a hard terrain, the Player-hero making the roll loses (1d).
Is "a hex suggesting hard terrain" up to the LM (mountains, marshes, perilous woods)?
Or do only Perilous Locations (page 111) apply?
P111:
If, at the end of the journey, the Loremaster and the players wish to know precisely how long the
Company has been travelling, they can check the region map
and count the number of hexes in the Company’s journey
path, adding 1 day for each hex suggesting a hard terrain
(hills, woods, marshes, etc.) — the resulting total is the length
of the journey in days.