Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Useful Item Examples List

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:18

Thought it might be a good idea to have somewhere to share any examples of Useful Items that players have come up with in your games. I'll update the list as people share their ideas.
Here are the ones I've come up with plus ones from the example list, hopefully we can grow the list.

AWE
A suit of expensive clothing, earrings of pearl, an impressive gold chain, a remarking torque, a striking ring, a fine cloak and hood, elaborate hair combs, exquisite diadem, a tattoo*, an impressive scar*, a necklace of claws / teeth etc, war paint, prominent piercing.

ENHEARTEN
A liquor to infuse strength, a war horn, a fine crafted circlet, an engraving of meaning, a banner, A set of rattling bells tied to a spear, which he can shake (Spears will be shaken!) when roaring a battle cry, adding percussive emphasis.

PERSUADE
A bottle of good wine, exquisite umbrella, artful makeup, delicate perfume

ATHLETICS
A coil of rope with grappling hook to climb, set of climbing pitons, lightweight running shoes, gloves of supple leather to facilitate climbing, boots with a spring-heel, a long spear which can be used as a vaulting pole.

TRAVEL
A sunstone to navigate in bad weather, travel biscuits, a walking stave, well prepared camping gear, sentimental handkerchief, a small tin of wax oil to waterproof boots or other leather kit, a bottle of tangy pickles as a pick me up,

STEALTH
Well made boots, a dependable cloak, a backpack with no metal exterior loops or buckles, and interior pockets that cushion the things inside, camouflage paint/makeup, a pinpoint lantern.

AWARENESS
A hat with a brim to screen the glare of the sun, a type of tea with a mild stimulant to assist a night watch

INSIGHT
A fine pipe to find comfort, a deck of gaming cards or dice, that permits close observation when playing with other people,

SCAN
A wind-proof lantern, pocket eyeglass, magnifying lens

HUNTING
A knife for skinning rabbits, a little box of salt to cook, set of fine snares, hunting dog or bird, fishing gear, a bird call whistle, a bolas for use in the chase, a lucky quiver

HEALING
A balm to soothe pain, a salve to dress wounds, dried herbs to alleviate aches , old remedy, trusty pestle and mortar, a foul smelling unguent, strips of cloth that can be used as ties, or as bandages. Plant extract to induce vomiting (treats food poisoning)

EXPLORE
A detailed set of maps, wayfarer bundle, set of chalk to mark the way, trusty tinderbox

SONG
An exotic musical instrument – a fiddle, a flute, a drum or a viol, a harp or lyre, or book of poems.

COURTESY
A suit of expensive clothing, earrings of pearl, an impressive gold chain, a remarking torque, striking ring, fancy waistcoat, various small gifts (details as needed)

RIDDLE
A good pipe to help you think, a smooth stone to calm your thoughts, a pack of playing cards or dice, to distract, a trained animal (probably a dog, but a hawk might do, or even a ferret!) that will perform a diversion with a coded sound or signal, A book of riddles.

CRAFT
A set of instruments to carve stone, fine wood-crafting tools, trusty work hammer, engraving tools, tongs, drills, magnifying lens, measuring tool, tool sharpener

BATTLE
Colour coded feathers on arrows to choose the right weight for the distance being shot over, or to fire into a wind. A small feather attached to the tip of the bow to indicate wind direction well above head height (assist in compensating when shooting in a cross wind), a finely crafted set of Dwarf made figures for setting up battle plans. A gold and silver chess set from the exotic south, a detailed map of a specific area and its surrounding terrain, useful for planning ambushes and tactics.

LORE
A rare book, an ink and quill set, a worry stone to help recall your studies

*Cannot be swapped out during a Fellowship phase.
Last edited by Aiden Harrison on Wed 03 Nov 2021, 17:15, edited 3 times in total.

Dunheved

Re: Useful Item Examples List

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 23:34

Hope some of these fit the bill then. Edit. Set of 18 common skills being added to - additions are all italicized.

AWE: a tattoo of a powerful animal

ENHEARTEN: A carving to hold aloft as a totem for the group, celebrating a previous positive event or Patron. (Or a flag of course)

PERSUADE:

ATHLETICS: bottle of Beorning "honey drink" for burst of energy, and "honey tablets" for slow release of energy while moving or working OR counterweight to place on spear end and make into a ropewalker' s aid.

TRAVEL: small tin of wax oil to waterproof boots or other leather kit.

STEALTH: a backpack with no metal exterior loops or buckles, and interior pockets that cushion the things inside

AWARENESS: a hat with a brim to screen the glare of the sun. A type of tea with a mild stimulant to assist a night watch.

INSIGHT: a deck of gaming cards or dice, that permits close observation when playing with other people.

SCAN: small bottle of "etching water" - removes patinaed surface of corroded metal, also removes burnt on residues. (Assists weapon maintenance as well)

HUNTING: a bird call whistle (good for signalling too), a bolas for use in the chase (trick weapon too)

HEALING: strips of cloth that can be used as ties, or as bandages. Plant extract to induce vomiting (treats food poisoning)

EXPLORE:

SONG: set of five to eight reeds that alter the characteristics of a simple flute.

COURTESY: soap to clean face and hands (also useful for Healing)

RIDDLE: the same pack of playing cards or dice, to distract. A trained animal (probably a dog, but a hawk might do, or even a ferret!) that will perform a diversion with a coded sound or signal.

CRAFT: chip of whetstone, awl and filesaw, wrapped in four leather strips that tie together to make a strapwrench.

BATTLE: colour coded feathers on arrows to choose the right weight for the distance being shot over, or to fire into a wind. A small feather attached to the tip of the bow to indicate wind direction well above head height (assist in compensating when shooting in a cross wind).

LORE: Three samples of the cones from different coniferous trees gathered from the Old Forest, Fangorn and from Rivendell. One opens as the air temperature rises, one opens when the moisture in the air increases , and the third opens as a breeze sets in
Last edited by Dunheved on Sat 12 Mar 2022, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 00:58

Good stuff Dunheved. I'll add them to the list tomorrow, on my kindle at the moment.

Not swapping out a tattoo any time soon lol.
I wonder if an impressive scar might count as well... Though that's not really brought with treasure is it.

Dunheved

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 01:01

The scar idea is better. Nice one.

Byrax

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 14:17

Good ideas!

HunterGreen

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 14:45

A few of mine I liked a lot. Each one has a pretty good reason why no one else could benefit from it -- or if they used it, they'd get the use of it but not the bonus die.

LORE: A worry-stone. While she studied in the libraries of Dale, she would rub it absently with her finger. Now, she can rub it again to bring her memories back to that moment, and help herself concentrate and remember.
TRAVEL: A bottle of tangy pickles from the Bottle family in Staddle. No one makes better pickles; they're the perfect pick-me-up.
HUNTING: A lucky quiver. One day, finding an encampment of Elves in the woods near Woodhall, he snuck in to steal a bow, since everyone knows Elves make the best bows, but they turn out way too big for Hobbits, so he took a quiver and ran. One of the Elves was silently watching him, and quietly laughing, the whole time.
ENHEARTEN: A set of rattling bells tied to his spear, which he can shake (spear shall be shaken!) when roaring a battle cry, adding percussive emphasis.
Last edited by HunterGreen on Wed 03 Nov 2021, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Xelforp

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 17:30

It's fun to think of useful things - they can add so much flavour to the game, without breaking it! :) Some ideas while I wait for my ride...

AWE
a necklace of claws / teeth etc.

ATHLETICS
gloves of supple leather to facilitate climbing
boots with a spring-heel
a long spear which can be used as a vaulting pole

STEALTH
a pinpoint lantern

COURTESY
various small gifts (details as needed)

RIDDLE
a book of riddles

CRAFT
tongs, drills, magnifying lens, measuring tool, tool sharpener

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 18:22

Good stuff Hunter and Xieforp.

I love the idea behind the lucky quiver and worry stone.

Interesting idea to double a weapon as a useful item with the vaulting pole/spear idea.

Not sure about spring loaded heels but I guess it could work... :)

I've added a few more I thought of, but here are a few joke ones I'm not adding.

Athletics
Water wings to help you swim
Fancy swimming trunks

mrdabakkle

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 23:43

Battle: A finely crafted set of Dwarf made figures for setting up battle plans. A gold and silver chess set from the exotic south. A detailed map of a specific area and it's terrain. Useful for planning ambushes. Perhaps a detailed map of the Old Ford or of Dale.

Scan: A magnifying glass.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Wed 03 Nov 2021, 17:21

Good stuff mrdabakkle.

Keep them coming folks.