Dunheved

Re: Feedback from Play

Mon 30 Aug 2021, 17:22

Fundamentally, I found 1E just right for most things, but I also often set difficulties in the 10 to 14 range, and found the travel system unsatisfying.
I can see the temptation here: I think I would like to retain TOR 1e and maybe trade the TOR2e Travel mechanic (at least as close as can be compatible with 1e) to replace 1e Travel. But I feel that there is quite a lot that can done to augment 1e without losing any vital organs to the altar of 'streamlining'.

Personally I would
1. Use a TOR1e friendly version of Travel from TOR 2e.
2. Add the choice of Resolve instead of Hate idea for LM adversaries. That way, any creature armed with Hate points automatically has the No Quarter rule. So rarely, Evil Men could be modelled with Hate instead of Resolve, to deliver No Quarter. Evil Dwarves with either Resolve or Hate? An adversary with zero RESOLVE will become Craven, surrendering or routing.
3. Distinguish between Encounters & Councils. Include both. I like these new rules and see them as a potential improvement if used for dealing with VIPs. (e.g. named canon characters: Ishtari, High Elf Lords, Beorn, Bard, Dain, Mr Bombadil, Thengel, Denethor etc)
4. Swop Explore and Hunting: keep Search instead of Scan: Inspire instead of Enhearten. Body moves to Strength. (I mean, why not?)
5. Add Inspiration idea for use by Fellowship Focus (call it Morale) so a new bonus available during Adventuring Phase.
6. Streamline the weapons into four types only.
7. Use both types of fellowship Phase (i.e. Yule)
8. Wits for Wisdom and Heart for Valour - yes.

Call it TOR 1+, or maybe "TOR and Back Again"

Mythicos

Mon 30 Aug 2021, 18:02

Fundamentally, I found 1E just right for most things, but I also often set difficulties in the 10 to 14 range, and found the travel system unsatisfying.
I can see the temptation here: I think I would like to retain TOR 1e and maybe trade the TOR2e Travel mechanic (at least as close as can be compatible with 1e) to replace 1e Travel. But I feel that there is quite a lot that can done to augment 1e without losing any vital organs to the altar of 'streamlining'.

Personally I would
2. Add the choice of Resolve instead of Hate idea for LM adversaries. That way, any creature armed with Hate points automatically has the No Quarter rule. So rarely, Evil Men could be modelled with Hate instead of Resolve, to deliver No Quarter. Evil Dwarves with either Resolve or Hate? An adversary with zero RESOLVE will become Craven, surrendering or routing.
3. Distinguish between Encounters & Councils. Include both. I like these new rules and see them as a potential improvement if used for dealing with VIPs. (e.g. named canon characters: Ishtari, High Elf Lords, Beorn, Bard, Dain, Mr Bombadil, Thengel, Denethor etc)
4. Swop Explore and Hunting: keep Search instead of Scan: Inspire instead of Enhearten. Body moves to Strength. (I mean, why not?)
5. Add Inspiration idea for use by Fellowship Focus (call it Morale) so a new bonus available during Adventuring Phase.

Somebody's going to propose a TOR Pathfinder, right?

And then a Pathfinder version of AiME...

:-)

AegirLifstan43

Mon 30 Aug 2021, 18:05

Personally I would

This is my plan as well. I really can't understand the obsession with streamlining as an end in itself. Many elements in 2 seem to have been hacked down without a serious need to do so.
All I really want is less clunky travel in 1, and less cumbersome councils. (My party usually didn't end up having to roll for most encounters, since I'm a lazy LM)

nobble

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 06:22

Always remember people, try the system for yourself, before following other peoples advice.. as you can see from this thread groups are having widely different experiences playing the rules as written. I've given 1 adventure phase so far and wanting a few more prior to house ruling.

I think we all own the design team that.

eternalsage

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 17:31

I have a few house rules that will be making the transition regardless, because 1e didn't address them and neither does 2e, mainly adding a weapon skill for maces (an EXTREMELY common weapon in the time periods analogous to that of LotR). I will also be house ruling Standing back in, because my group used (a house ruled version of it) a lot in 1e and loved the feeling of their legend growing and their rise in importance amongst the various cultures (my house rule had an independent Standing value for each culture). Other wise I will wait and see. I feel the lack of Cultural Rewards a major issue and I will certainly not be using the magic rewards RAW because this is not D&D and there is no reason for there to be multiple magical items in the party before Valour/Wisdom 4 or higher, in my personal opinion.
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King