Falenthal

Re: Will there be a cimantic mode?

Wed 11 Nov 2020, 12:01

Edit: On further thought, one of the features that makes the cinematic scenarios so engaging in Alien RPG is the use of secret agendas and/or secret identities.
Absolutely right.
Of course secret instructions by Saruman to agents of his secret plans come to mind first. But then there could also be Wayward Elves wanting to recover the Wild over human (mortal) lives, Rangers having to take tough decissions between saving a heirloom or Arnor or a simpleton's life from a stray ignorant from Bree, dwarves holding an ancient grudge against elves that just rescued them from spiders,...

Otaku-sempai

Wed 11 Nov 2020, 17:00

The thought of a cinematic mode puts me in mind of a one-off session meant to be played at a convention or as a break from a regular campaign. Is that about right?
#FideltyToTolkien

Falenthal

Thu 12 Nov 2020, 14:02

The thought of a cinematic mode puts me in mind of a one-off session meant to be played at a convention or as a break from a regular campaign. Is that about right?
Yes and no.
The main characteristics of a cinematic adventure are that:
1) It has to be played with pregenerated characters, because they are made to tailor the story.
2) Linked to that, each character has a Hidden Agenda, a personal goal that forces the player to aim at an objective during the adventure. It doesn't have to be mean, it could be "make everything you can so that the whole crew survives". But that would imply, for example, that the player should put his character in danger to protect others. As the scenario might have different Acts (based on dramatic twists of the plot), the Agenda could change for each character with each Act.
3) The cinematic adventure is thought to be very mortal, so by design NPCs are planned during the story so they can become replacement PCs.

But a cinematic scenario can be played during more than one session. Chariots of the Gods is played by many people in two or even three sessions. And the last one released, Destroyer of Worlds, is designed to be played over 3 or 4 sessions.
Of course, it is a very adequate kind of scenario to be played also in one-shots (like Hadley's Hope, the one that comes with the Core Book), but it's not a requisite of cinematic scenarios.

Also, as you point out, they can be used as side- or background stories during longer campaigns; like the typical "you find a recording of what happened in this derelict base before it all went to hell. You press Play on the player, aaaaaand... here you have your new character sheets. Choose your new character for this scenario and let's see what is in that tape and how the whole settlement became extint in one night...".

bveld

Fri 13 Nov 2020, 20:01

It sounds really fun! I must try this!

Let's see whether I can convince a friend to run it

Mydeskisonfireagain

Sun 15 Nov 2020, 12:43

I would LOVE to play a cinematic mode. I made a similar post after feeling inspired by the new product from Games Workshop "Quest of the Ringbearer" which pitches the fellowship of the ring in small cinematic skirmishes.

Reaverbait

Wed 18 Nov 2020, 00:56

Actually a cinematic mode would be a good idea. I am running a ME campaign using home grown rules, but looking forward to TOR. I have a "cinematic" adventure planned where the players will fall into a sort of dream and will play out the siege and fall of Weathertop where they will be ancestors of their current (late Third Age) characters who will either die at the siege or (if they do well early on and impress the King) be given a mission to escape from the doomed fortress bearing artifacts of the house of Isuldur that must be saved. I think the idea of the players taking on the doomed, impossible defense would give them the chance to play more heroicly, and the fall of Weathertop is Middle Earth's "The Alamo".

Yepesnopes

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 05:40

RuneQuest invented this “cinematic mode” back in the 80s :p

Falenthal

Sun 06 Dec 2020, 12:36

I'd even say that D&D, when deciding to give Wizards 1d4 Hit Points AND daggers a damage of 1d4, invented the one-shot scenarios. :lol: