Carcharoth
Topic Author

TOR on Roll20?

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 01:18

From a blog post on the Free League website:

Earlier this year, the new Starter Set for the Tales From the Loop RPG was released on Roll20. More Free League titles – including the official ALIEN RPG – will be launched on virtual tabletop platforms in the weeks and months to come.

Is there a chance that we could see TOR 2e as an official Roll20 module in the future? My only "evidence" is that the other two current/planned Roll20 releases are based on known IPs, and LOTR is one of the biggest IPs of them all, so I'd like to think they're planning on dropping the core book/starter set into Roll20 when the game launches.
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Otaku-sempai

Re: TOR on Roll20?

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 03:27

I've never utilized Roll20, but it would be nice to know the option of using it for TOR is there.
#FideltyToTolkien

jthurn

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 03:30

I've used ToR on Roll20 for several years now, and have spent hundreds of hours setting up macros and such. You can imagine the wishes running through my little brain when I saw the Fria Ligan games in Roll20's official list.

Ghorin

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 07:58

I would also love that TOR was officially implemented in Roll20.
I've worked on the last version of current TOR character sheet in Rolll20 a few years ago and, as @thurn, I've spent many hours building my own macros (that I share with french-speaking TOR players : http://ostolinde.free.fr/anneau_unique/ ... Roll20.pdf). I also spent many hours in Roll20 at creating NPC and Enemies characters, putting maps/regions/people/tokens images, and creating handouts for helping the players with the system. And all that work in Roll20 cannot be shared as Roll20 doesn't give us that function (export/import, share a compendium).
So I would love an official support of Roll20 for TOR by Lia Frigans : Character sheet, compendium...
Note : There are other VTT softwares that are also interesting for players (Fantasy ground, Foundry VTT...). At the moment I'm testing Let's Role for which I have created a full TOR system (https://community.lets-role.com/t/the-o ... nique/3913).

Carcharoth
Topic Author

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 16:31

Note : There are other VTT softwares that are also interesting for players (Fantasy ground, Foundry VTT...).
I looked at Fantasy Grounds, and I see that Symbaroum, another FL title is available there. I wonder if they are putting different games on different platforms, or did they try FG first, only to decide to switch to Roll20 for future releases?
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Marcello

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 17:10

I've been using Roll20 with my group for several years, for virtual play but also tabletop - it's great to speed up combat, and more generally dice rolling.
So yeah, we'll be super excited to have an official support for TOR on this platform, and it would probably be a great commercial boost for the game.

I know some of you will find that crazy but I'd rather spend money to have Roll20 support that will help me a lot as a LM than on buying fancy-colored dice, that we seldom use!

@ghorin:
Dans mes bras, mon ami !
As a french player/LM, I bow very very low to thank you for your work on Roll20!
I already used the character sheet and some personal macros but your pdf is an amazing wonder.
On behalf of my group, many thanks again!

Ghorin

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 18:12

@ghorin:
Dans mes bras, mon ami !
As a french player/LM, I bow very very low to thank you for your work on Roll20!
I already used the character sheet and some personal macros but your pdf is an amazing wonder.
On behalf of my group, many thanks again!
Thank you, @Marcello, I appreciate it.

Some explanation for english-talking players : I use a Roll20 free account and thus I can't use the functionalities that are granted with Roll20 API (like automatic detection of the combat stance). i have developed my own macros and character sheet implementation way in order to be able to focus on the game (the story, the background, the roleplay) and not on the system. Macros for combat, macros for health, macros, travels, macros for skills ... If it may interest english-talking people, I could do a translation of my document.

bveld

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 18:46

I have also spent a lot of time setting up my Roll20 TOR game using wiki below, but it was definitely worth it. My group is loving it.

https://wiki.roll20.net/The_One_Ring

@Ghorin - I would be very interested to see that document. I am sure that there are some macros that I did not think about. Like what are the "macros for health"?

Ghorin

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 18:58

@Ghorin - I would be very interested to see that document. I am sure that there are some macros that I did not think about. Like what are the "macros for health"?
My document : http://ostolinde.free.fr/anneau_unique/ ... Roll20.pdf

My macro for health of all PCs. You have to duplicate the "template" line for each PC and replace the PC name (Thorondir in this example) by the name of your PCs.
/em PCs health
&{template:default} {{name=Thorondir : Health}} {{Encumbrance=[[@{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_5} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_6} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_7} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_8} ]]}} {{Travel fatigue=@{Thorondir|travel_fatigue} }} {{Total Fatigue =[[@{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_5} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_6} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_7} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_8} + @{Thorondir|travel_fatigue} ]]}} {{Endurance=@{Thorondir|endurance} / @{Thorondir|endurance|max}}} {{Weary=@{Thorondir|weary}}} {{Wounded / treated=@{Thorondir|wounded} / @{Thorondir|wound_treated}}}

bveld

Thu 10 Sep 2020, 18:07

My document : http://ostolinde.free.fr/anneau_unique/ ... Roll20.pdf

My macro for health of all PCs. You have to duplicate the "template" line for each PC and replace the PC name (Thorondir in this example) by the name of your PCs.
/em PCs health
&{template:default} {{name=Thorondir : Health}} {{Encumbrance=[[@{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_5} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_6} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_7} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_8} ]]}} {{Travel fatigue=@{Thorondir|travel_fatigue} }} {{Total Fatigue =[[@{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|weapon_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_1} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_2} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_3} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_4} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_5} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_6} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_7} + @{Thorondir|gear_encumbrance_8} + @{Thorondir|travel_fatigue} ]]}} {{Endurance=@{Thorondir|endurance} / @{Thorondir|endurance|max}}} {{Weary=@{Thorondir|weary}}} {{Wounded / treated=@{Thorondir|wounded} / @{Thorondir|wound_treated}}}
Can you explain what it does exactly?