TheLastShogun
Topic Author

So... What the devil is going on with Accelerator weapons?

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 18:28

Let's just recap the rules for a bit, for a price increase between 0, and 33%, in comparison to Vulcans, Accelerators get the same damage, an 80 meters range advantage(so between 3 and 4 turns to close the gap, depending on whether or not you use cover), and, most importantly, a crit rating of 1, all for losing out between 1 and 2 extra initiative.

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around why you would even bother with Vulcans beyond the cost, and even then, the Acc pistol is the same price as a Cricket, so early on there barely is a difference. Doesn't help that with how crit-reliant combat is in Coriolis, having a Crit Rating of 1 *actually makes them a viable choice over Advanced tech Thermal weapons*, and all that at the same Ordinary category as Vulcans. I understand that Coriolis is not a crunchy system by any means, but even that seems excessive, so I'd like to possibly learn the reasoning behind this disparity.

OrunII

Re: So... What the devil is going on with Accelerator weapons?

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 11:53

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around why you would even bother with Vulcans beyond the cost
If you go by pure mechanics, you wouldn't. :)

The issue (as I see it) is with the armor rules in the game, and not the weapon stats per se.
Armor is unreliable and since all you need in order to crit someone is to deal 1+ damage, it is often a toss-up who gets to crit who.
And given that unreliability, the low crit ceiling and cost of Acc weapons, they are superior to Vulcan weapons in every way.

Rymdhamster

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 23:51

I kinda figure that vulcan weapons are available in most places, while Acc weapons are a little bit harder to get a hold of.

Player characters will probably have acc weapons very early in a campaign (maybe even as a starter weapon), but if they ever end up in a situation where they need to get new weapons quickly, they might be limited. Would be harder to get acc ammo as well.

On top of that I figure acc weapons are alot bigger to, so more difficult to conceal (this is going of the pictures).

But mostly, I think of vulcan weapons as an NPC weapon =)

jerichojeudy

Sun 13 Sep 2020, 11:43

Interesting point.

I wonder what the devs opinion on this is. Because I noticed it too.

The one thing to note is that if you play Coriolis « correctly », NPCs in a firefight won’t just stand there, they'll be going for cover. So armoured NPCs could easily end up with 10 dice of protection, and lightly armoured ones, 5 or 6.

That doesn’t make the vulcans better, but it does mitigate the accelerators somewhat.