Tywyll
Topic Author

Party full of Lore and Camping?

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 10:55

Generally when multiple PCs are working on the same task, you only roll once. However, Lore seems to not really fit that situation. Most of the PCs in my group have Lore so when rolling basically everyone rolls, meaning the Legend always ends up getting revealed. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Making Camp only requires one roll. However, this creates a weird situation where say someone has a blanket which grants a +1 but not everyone has a blanket so why do they all benefit from it? Ditto with a small tent which can only hold 2 people, why would a party of 6 all get the bonus dice? Shouldn't you roll for the seperate groups?

Fenhorn

Re: Party full of Lore and Camping?

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 12:46

Lore is a perfect skill to use the group roll rule. Let one player roll (the best one). If the other players can help is up to you as a GM. Personally I don't allow it since for the most part, I think the players probably know the same thing or not at all.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll
Topic Author

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 13:40

Lore is a perfect skill to use the group roll rule. Let one player roll (the best one). If the other players can help is up to you as a GM. Personally I don't allow it since for the most part, I think the players probably know the same thing or not at all.
Then that makes Lore a skill that only one player ever needs and completely invalidates the other PCs having it. We generated the party with the random adventurers booklet so one of the pcs has a Wits of 5 and a Lore of 3 and two other characters have lore as well. They might as well not have it in that case.

But everyone rolling makes it too easy.

Also, since Lore rolls are supposed to represent things you heave heard or/learned, how can people help each other with that?

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 13:52

Let the players argue why they could help and in what way. Also, in my game, the sorcerer is allowed to roll in most instances but when they discover a new monster or a beast, I rule that the ranger gets to roll (perhaps with help though). When they discovered some ancient, dwarven ruins, I had the dwarf fighter roll to find out useful tidbits about the site. It makes for a better narrative explanation, I think. Also, it becomes interesting for other players with the same skill.

Fenhorn

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 13:55

I only let a character that has some connection to the Lore skill roll, roll. So if it is a legend about halflings, then I let the halfling character roll. A character that has a character that is somewhat related to what the legend is all about, an roll with a penalty. Like a goblin character with the halfling legend (even though we didn't have a goblin in the group when we had a halfling). Let the best of those players roll.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 14:32

For making camp, I only allow gear dice If there’s enough gear for all to benefit. A tent where 2 people sleep would not give a party of 4 or more a bonus unless they take turns sleeping. A blanket would still give a bonus to the one character who is about to keep watch during night, since my players usually have him/her sleep on the bare ground when the rest makes camp.

Ebrim

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 22:13

Doesn’t blanket only help vs cold, not for make a camp?

But yeah, for tents, only apply the bonus of enough capacity for all. Flint and steel should still work though.

As for Lore, not all the party will always be together or have their full wits about them. The rest of the time, use help dice.

Rymdhamster

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 23:00

Yeah. Blankets are for when you fail to set up camp properly =)

Or if you're just in a hurry.

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 23:30

But yeah, for tents, only apply the bonus of enough capacity for all. Flint and steel should still work though.

As for Lore, not all the party will always be together or have their full wits about them. The rest of the time, use help dice.
Yes, that's right. That's why it only applies to the one PC sleeping when others make camp. The PC who is given the task of keeping watch during night. Sorry if I was a bit unclear.

AndreasDavour

Thu 27 Aug 2020, 08:44

I allow multiple Lore rolls, but each successful roll reveals different things. If a bard rolls, she will learn what the songs say and if a Sorcerer rolls she will learn what the old books about occult secrets say. So far it has lead my players to wanting to go in three directions at once, from the implications in those rolls and legends. :)