Vindictus

Re: Sentry gun in Hope's Last Day

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:11

So far ... and as in SMG's and assault rifles.

Hardly as in chain guns or Mk.19's.

not true. you can legally own an m134 minigun in the US. as long as its pre-ban. and you probably need special connections to get the automatic weapons license. but private citizens do own them and they cost around $200,000.

I might go so far as to let them have improvised a sentry gun from a civilian-grade motion tracker and a semi-automatic weapon. But the official verdict has been that LV-426 is "a rock - no indigenous life", so the Company letting someone carry heavy military hardware, even obsolete, to the colony seems unlikely.

A planet not having indigenous life is still not going to stop gun nuts from bringing their guns. They will die before you separate them from their guns lol.

Again I dont think saying they have one aged sentry gun is an issue. If they had a stockpile of pulse rifles and grenade launchers, smartguns, and M3 body armor that would raise some red flags.
Last edited by Vindictus on Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:18, edited 3 times in total.

Diego

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:16

...can't help but wonder what a civilian colony would be doing with sentry guns in the first place ... especially bearing in mind that they obviously, according to the movie, don't have access to military hardware, instead needing to improvise and employ seismic survey charges as weapons...

In my game, that sentry gun simply isn't there.
Yeah, it does seem a little odd. I mean a sentry gun is like a mine, it's a fire and forget indiscriminate weapon, you would expect that to be the kind of thing only the military would have. Wrong kind of person gets there hand on that, they can set it up, leave it and it would wreak terrible destruction before getting taken out. Might be possible to argue though, that on the frontier where these colonies are months away from anyone been able to come and help them, they are given leeway to have exceptional firepower on the off chance that they are targeted by an extremist organisation, pirates or slavers kind of deal.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Vader

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:18

So far ... and as in SMG's and assault rifles.

Hardly as in chain guns or Mk.19's.

not true. you can legally own an m134 minigun in the US. as long as its pre-ban. and you probably need special connections to get the automatic weapons license. but private citizens do own them.
Minigun (M134) yes; chain gun (M242) no. Plus, the 22nd century is solidly post-ban.

Additionally, consider that this is the Company paying for every kilogram of material shipped to establish the colony - they will likely be vetting every toothbrush. Why would they let you bring 50kg of sentry gun and ammo to a dead rock?
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Vader

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:20

Might be possible to argue though, that on the frontier where these colonies are months away from anyone been able to come and help them, they are given leeway to have exceptional firepower on the off chance that they are targeted by an extremist organisation, pirates or slavers kind of deal.
I'd say that in that scenario, they wouldn't have needed to improvise ordnance from survey tools.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Vindictus

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:23

Minigun (M134) yes; chain gun (M242) no. Plus, the 22nd century is solidly post-ban.

And youre an expert on 22nd century law? lol

Seems to me it would be prudent to allow colonists to purchase older military surplus hardware since a lot of the colonies are on hostile planets and months away from the closest colonial marine base.

It makes sense for many of the same reasons they allow civilians to own pre-ban military hardware today.

Vader

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:28

And youre an expert on 22nd century law? lol
Is the 22nd century US pre- or post the US of 2020, lol?
It makes sense for many of the same reasons they allow civilians to own pre-ban military hardware today.
The US seems to be pretty much the only country in the developed world where this is thought to make sense. For the time being.

But this isn't a Government run colony - it's run by the Company. And I can't see anything else than that bearing their nature in mind, they will have a very restrictive policy on bringing heavy ordnance...

Vindictus

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:33

The US seems to be pretty much the only country in the developed world where this is thought to make sense. For the time being.
That doesnt apply to the circumstances in the Alien RPG where colonists are living on hostile planets with creatures that attack them every day. Believe me owning guns would suddenly make a lot of sense if you were constantly being attacked by building sized mole creatures. And youre going to need something more than a shotgun to take that down.

I believe the Colonial Marines would sell colonists older military surplus hardware. They absolutely would not sell them state-of-the-art current generation military weapons though.

Would colonists have an M577 APC? no. Could they stick a 25-year old sentry gun on top of a tractor and call it an APC? sure.
Last edited by Vindictus on Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:40, edited 5 times in total.

Diego

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:36

Might be possible to argue though, that on the frontier where these colonies are months away from anyone been able to come and help them, they are given leeway to have exceptional firepower on the off chance that they are targeted by an extremist organisation, pirates or slavers kind of deal.
I'd say that in that scenario, they wouldn't have needed to improvise ordnance from survey tools.
Well the colony was been overrun. You would assume they'd have deployed all the actual defensive measures they had, then started to improvise once things went from bad to worse.
Session 9+ now up

Vindictus

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 15:49

They still wouldnt be able to improvise up a military grade sentry gun though. No matter how many survey tools and motion trackers they stick on it.

Id probably just use the regular sentry gun stats but give it a -1/-1 and say its an older model sentry gun that they bought from a military surplus dealer.

Diego

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 16:10

They still wouldnt be able to improvise up a military grade sentry gun though. No matter how many survey tools and motion trackers they stick on it.

Id probably just use the regular sentry gun stats but give it a -1/-1 and say its an older model sentry gun that they bought from a military surplus dealer.
i meant for the explosive charges that get mentioned in Aliens. The sentry gun I could somewhat imagine they have. It is a little wonky, but like I said, you are trapping people on planets, months away from anyone and hoping that malicious people don't take advantage of that.
Session 9+ now up