adrianplanet
Topic Author

When are Panic Rolls made?

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:08

Could I get some clarification on when Panic Rolls are made?

Page 62 of the Cinematic Starter Kit seems to suggest that it’s after the action is complete—’Whenever you … roll one or more (1s) on your Stress Dice … you have emptied your clip after the attack and need to reload (in addition to making a Panic Roll)’. Page 68 seems to suggest that it’s before the action is complete if the Panic Roll is a 10 or higher—‘the action is cancelled and immediately replaced by the forced panic action, even if you rolled (6 on a Base Die)’.

Thanks!

Fenhorn

Re: When are Panic Rolls made?

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:19

P62 say that "you have emptied your clip after the attack and need to reload (in addition to making a Panic Roll". This means that you have emptied the clip after the action, meaning that you hit if the attack hits, then you are out of bullets. The parenthesis is not part of the the normal sentence and just tells you that you need to make a panic roll according to the roll.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

decanox

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:27

I think it's complementery one rule and another.

- If you shoot in full auto and roll a 1 in the stress dice, you have to check panic, then:

- If you roll -10, you hit.
- If you roll 10 or +, you fail shooting to your target and you perform the panic action.

In both cases you lose one ammo or reload.

I think it's easy to imagine when you roll 10 or more. You press the trigger but you don't see anything pushed by your panic. 

aramis

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 21:18

As I understand the question and the rules (still not fully up)...
  1. GM tells player it's their turn
  2. Attack is declared
  3. Attack is rolled
  4. If there are 1 or more 1's showing, the shot process is suspended until the panic roll
  5. panic roll is made; if it's 10+ primary action aborted and is replaced with the forced action (and a fresh roll) (p.68)
  6. If panic roll under 10, resolve the roll, counting 6's 
  7. buy stunts if elligible
  8. proceed to block, cover, or armor rolls as needed
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

adrianplanet
Topic Author

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 02:39

Ah! And you have to reload regardless—that makes much more sense. Thanks all!

Pily

Thu 08 Aug 2019, 15:22

Their is Something i would like to ask regarding the panic roll which i think does not make sense to me. it says if you get 10 + ur action in cancelled and if you get under 10 it's a pass. But if you look at result 9 from the panic roll sheet it says (dropped Item) I.E weapon or important item. And the GM picks what item is dropped. But it does not state when you drop it I.E right away as you have failed ur panic roll or during combat or after combat... so what i am asking is if you roll and get many 1 dices and some 1 stress dices and you roll on ur panic and 9 comes up would that not cancel ur action as well?

aramis

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 01:49

Pily, the rules are fairly clear that a <10 roll is not preventing the action. So the drop is after the hit.

Pily

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 09:29

Pily, the rules are fairly clear that a <10 roll is not preventing the action. So the drop is after the hit.
Thanks Aramis

aramis

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 12:28

Thanks Aramis
Glad to have helped...
One other thought... 
If the roll to hit is a miss, you can have the weapon drop before hand.
Even on a hit, if the need for comic relief is there, "you panic, drop the weapon, but it still goes off in the alien's face..."

Fit the narrative to the dice roll and the table need.

Pily

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 14:57

Thanks Aramis
Glad to have helped...
One other thought... 
If the roll to hit is a miss, you can have the weapon drop before hand.
Even on a hit, if the need for comic relief is there, "you panic, drop the weapon, but it still goes off in the alien's face..."

Fit the narrative to the dice roll and the table need.
Thats a Good point Aramis.. when i done a play through and a person rolled a 9 on the panic sheet i had them hit the target but then drop the weapon but i never thought about if they miss target they could drop it as well