Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Vacuum + Freezing Effects

Tue 28 May 2019, 01:23

The effects of being thrown out an airlock would result is a Stamina check against Vacuum every Round AND a check against Freezing every Turn?

That would make sense. Chance of survival: slim-to-none.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Glimpse

Re: Vacuum + Freezing Effects

Tue 28 May 2019, 01:42

Don't forget the Vacuum check is a cumulative penalty as well. With a bit of bad luck, they'll be Broken in a few seconds.

Deep_Impact

Tue 28 May 2019, 11:01

I think that the "Cinematic Explosive Decompression", that's scientifically nonsense, but is fitting into the setting.

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Tue 28 May 2019, 18:04

I think that the "Cinematic Explosive Decompression", that's scientifically nonsense, but is fitting into the setting.

I grew up in Hunstsville, Alabama in the 1970s. My neighbors were folks like Dr. Konrad Dannenberg, and almost everyone's dad (as a schoolyard tease goes) actually was a rocket scientist. Since before seeing Star Wars I knew about lack of sound in space (TIE fighters screaming?), the effects of pressurization, and that the worst thing that happened in the US space program involved Grissom, White, and Chaffee (two of whom had schools named after them in town). I've had to hand wave so much about science fiction over the years and pretend I didn't grow up listening to my dad say things like "when space travel is commercially available one day, for at least the first generation of travellers, space ships will be designed to vibrate and make noise, so that the average joe will believe it's actually moving because without something to visually refer to, you don't seem to move in a vacuum."

At least in the game, it is called "Cinematic Explosive Decompression" and not just "Explosive Decompression". Acknowledging the difference plays well with me.  8-)

Deep_Impact

Tue 28 May 2019, 18:13

At least in the game, it is called "Cinematic Explosive Decompression" and not just "Explosive Decompression". Acknowledging the difference plays well with me.  8-)
I doubt, that Fria Ligan will follow my suggestion about this term. :D

Umberto Octo
Topic Author

Tue 28 May 2019, 18:16

I doubt, that Fria Ligan will follow my suggestion about this term. :D
Ah. My misreading. I saw the term and superimposed it in my visual memory to being in the book. Pffft! ;)

Hej, Fria Ligan! Listen to Deep_Impact!!

VaeVictis9

Fri 31 May 2019, 09:07

In vacuum the human body will first boil, then freeze. Fun times!

9littlebees

Thu 06 Jun 2019, 19:13

The best cinematic representation of exposure to the vacuum of space is in Event Horizon. No explosive decompression, no popping out like a cork:
https://youtu.be/wp70vEiAn7E

It's thus a huge shame that at the end of the film everyone is being violently sucked out of a hole in the bridge.
https://youtu.be/fLuD0lD9GHM
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)