rabindranath72
Topic Author

PDF revision/printing vs printed core book

Fri 03 Dec 2021, 18:24

Hi all,
I just acquired a physical 3rd printing of the ALIEN core book (from Modiphius) and I got by Modiphius a 2nd printing pdf. However, I have the pdf from Free League on drivethru, and it's a 6th printing. My questions:
1) What is the latest printing of the dead-tree version?
2) From 3rd to 6th printing: that's a lot of revision numbers! What did actually change?

Fenhorn

Re: PDF revision/printing vs printed core book

Fri 03 Dec 2021, 19:02

Just because they reprint something mean that they change anything, it can mean that it has gone out of print and they need to reprint it. Sure there might have been a typo somewhere that has been fixed. If you want to have an official answer you have to email free league and ask.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Sat 04 Dec 2021, 16:00

Usually “printing” and “revision” are two different things. “6th printing” simply means that — the sixth time this book has been run through a printing press. The assumption is that no real changes have been made, with the possible exceptions of minor typographical amendments. Not something you’d normally apply to PDFs.

“6th revision” however would mean the sixth version — the sixth time the book is published or released with changes from the previous version.
This would be applied also to PDFs.

Edition is something else again. That implies changes beyond mere errata.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

rabindranath72
Topic Author

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 15:08

Yes, I was hoping for an official answer, or to get feedback from someone who bought a 6th printing physical book.
Seems safe to assume that if there's a 6th printing pdf, it must refer to the fact that a physical 6th printing exists, i.e. it's not just a pdf thing.

Theophilus Carter

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 20:56

It's not just a PDF thing. I own a 6th printing of the physical book.

Fenhorn

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 21:09

If it only is digital, then the pdf would say digital. For example the Mutant: Year Zero core book was for a long time listed as digital 4 but now as 4th printing because they have also printed it.

And just as Mutant: Year Zero 4th printing, Alien 6th Printing only contains cosmetic changes from earlier printings.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

rabindranath72
Topic Author

Mon 13 Dec 2021, 13:31

It's not just a PDF thing. I own a 6th printing of the physical book.
Thanks for confirming!

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 13 Dec 2021, 13:53

Hello! There were some fixes between 1st and 2nd printing, but after that, changes were only very minor and cosmetic, if any at all.
Fria Ligan