Skillstuntman
Topic Author

spies in the alien universe

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 01:00

If the UA wants to spy on the UPP or wanted to conduct espionage in an urban environment, do they use the Colonial Marines or do they have a galactic CIA?

Grimmshade

Re: spies in the alien universe

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 05:02

Good question! Are there actual intelligence agencies?

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 16:48

I think that WY (or Seegson, etc.) has everything at hands ... and why don't we use an android for the job ... he will look like the victim (UPP citizen) we have killed ... sounds familiar to you ...

Skillstuntman
Topic Author

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 17:25

I couldn't find anything on this so for any game mother's, I decided that there is a UACIA. They have agents but outside of core systems will select candidates from Colonial Marshals and Colonial Marines to do missions.

_ArthurDallas_

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 19:47

good idea, I would suggest it's an underground branch of the Colonial Marshals Office.

Military (colonial Marines) will have there own recon division (special forces operations) for that.

If it's a military investigation, Special Forces Operations (USCMC) will go. If it's a civilian investigation, UACIA will go.

I just found in the book, CMO manual P.46 ... FBI have increase their influence from the US to encompass all UA colonies. FBI will investigate mass property damage + mass murders + potential terrorist threats.

pfarland

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 20:48

Knowing a bit about the Intelligence Community, I thought I would chime in. There would CERTAINLY be a version of the CIA, as well as most likely the NSA, DIA, FBI-Counter Intelligence Division. While the UA military would almost certainly have it's own Military Intelligence Branch as well as the DIA, both are kinda outside the scope as they are very militarily focused and operate differently.

While Colonial Marines & Marshals would have their place, as your "general spy" they tend to not do terribly well. Cops and soldiers have a particular way of carrying themselves that stands out and is hard to untrain. They certainly do however have a place in Counter Intelligence and Special Activities Divisions (SAD is the small combat arms that the CIA uses, but more often they will prefer to use mercs). Your best undercover spy is smart and good with people. You will have Official Cover spies and your Non-Official Cover spies. The Official ones are usually diplomats and other "protected" type individuals. They are usually suspected and watched, but if they get caught, the worst that happens is they get tossed out of country, disgraced, and given cushy civilian jobs working for the government.

Your NOCs are where the fun begins. These are the people that CAN'T get caught. They are the ones that aren't even recognized by their country if caught. They survive by wits and making friends, if things go south all they can do is run or hide. Depending on whether the NOC has Intelligence on them, how good they are, and how much they know; a mission might be sent to retrieve by mercs or SAD.

Freighter crew personnel would make good Handlers. Dropping by ports they could have a couple people at each colony that get paid a bit extra to keep their ears to the ground. Once something comes up that deserves "extra" attention, you would try to get someone in the area to start making friends, nothing more. Once you find that "special friend" you figure out how to turn them. Once turned, you have your informant (and often not enthused about the idea).
"Load up, strap in, lock and load, and save the last bullet for yourself."

Skillstuntman
Topic Author

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 21:14

While Colonial Marines & Marshals would have their place, as your "general spy" they tend to not do terribly well. Cops and soldiers have a particular way of carrying themselves that stands out and is hard to untrain. They certainly do however have a place in Counter Intelligence and Special Activities Divisions (SAD is the small combat arms that the CIA uses, but more often they will prefer to use mercs). Your best undercover spy is smart and good with people. You will have Official Cover spies and your Non-Official Cover spies. The Official ones are usually diplomats and other "protected" type individuals. They are usually suspected and watched, but if they get caught, the worst that happens is they get tossed out of country, disgraced, and given cushy civilian jobs working for the government.
Wow, this really helped a lot. It's for a one shot I'm planning. I never thought about but cops/military would have to untrain themselves.i think A handler npc and then the players are informats or mercs.
Last edited by Skillstuntman on Fri 05 Nov 2021, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

pfarland

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 21:25

Wow, this really helped a lot. It's for a one shot I'm planning. I think that I'll modified to company agent class to fit this mold better because of the interpersonal skills needed. I never thought about but cops/military would have to untrain themselves.
Glad to help! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Bengt Petter

Sun 07 Nov 2021, 09:31

Since this is a corporate setting, there should be corporate spies. To me, it’s all about who is in control of the most important secrets. I’d say, it’s mainly corporations like W-Y and Seegson. I would also say that UPP probably has some kind of KGB. The stuff you mention above may exist too, but I’d prefer to use corporate spies.

pfarland

Sun 07 Nov 2021, 18:54

Since this is a corporate setting, there should be corporate spies. To me, it’s all about who is in control of the most important secrets. I’d say, it’s mainly corporations like W-Y and Seegson. I would also say that UPP probably has some kind of KGB. The stuff you mention above may exist too, but I’d prefer to use corporate spies.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Corporate Spies aplenty. But the OP was asking about the UA and UPP. While the focus is different, many of the same tactics would be used.