Angerran
Topic Author

can aliens counterattack?

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 00:18

any character who successfully blocks a melee attack can use his extra dices for counterattack. if an alien blocks attack - can he counterattack to and how to define how many dice he uses for this and how to choose which action he uses for that?

Fenhorn

Re: can aliens counterattack?

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 01:04

First, if you use one of the extra block successes (i.e. stunts) to counterattack, it inflicts the Damage Rating of the weapon and this can't be increased with further stunts. Aliens only fight with signature attacks so they don't block. I don't think any of the signature attacks fits as a counterattack.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 17:54

And the (xeno) speed gives you multiple attacks with the signature attack.

Kaybe

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 19:23

Nope. They are quite deadly as is, lol

Angelman

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 19:48

Wait, do a Speed 2 xeno get two Signature Attacks on the same Initiative? Is that what you meant here? (I understand that they get two Initiative slots in a round, each with its own Signature Attack, but do they in fact get two Signature Attacks per Initiative? :shock: )
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Fenhorn

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 20:39

Wait, do a Speed 2 xeno get two Signature Attacks on the same Initiative? Is that what you meant here? (I understand that they get two Initiative slots in a round, each with its own Signature Attack, but do they in fact get two Signature Attacks per Initiative? :shock: )
Nope, they get two init cards, that's all (well, I think that is enough).

Angelman

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 20:56

Nope, they get two init cards, that's all (well, I think that is enough).
Thanks, and yes, it's enough, or even more than enough... poor, squishy hooomans. :lol: I was starting to panic about Speed 3 baby-neomorphs getting 6 signature attacks a round ('cause one killed a PC in CotG on it's first initiative, single Signature Attack, and... I don't think a PC group could take 6 attacks from one of those guys) ;)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

_ArthurDallas_

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:13

they get 2 initiative cards with ONE signature attack with each card. sorry if it was not clear enough.

so you can count the second (card) attack for a counterattack if you like (that was my point). Alien can't block attacks.

with a alien signature attack (roll), GM can determine (change) the right action for a situation scene. (Exemple, I changed a signature attack for a drone who grabs a PC and thows him outside a window. Then the beast crashed his smartgun. 2 differents signature attacks determined by me to fit my scene).
Last edited by _ArthurDallas_ on Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Angelman

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:21

they get 2 initiative cards with ONE signature attack with each card. sorry if it's was not clear enough.

so you can count the second (card) attack for a counterattack if you like (that was my point).
Not your fault, sir. I was confused 'cause I'm stupid.

Say, sorry for butting in on the OP question, but I think this place fits my question well, so... I recently had a situation where a player wanted to use a pistol shot stunt to Pin Down a Xeno, causing it to lose it's next Slow Action. I couldn't immediately find any rules saying this couldn't be done, so I allowed it, thinking it might serve for an interesting scene. The next question, of course, then became, what does "lose the next Slow Action" mean for a Xeno with signature attacks? In the end, not wanting to get bogged down, I just ruled that it lost its next signature attack and got to move if it wished. But how would all y'all deal with such a scene?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Fenhorn

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:25

they get 2 initiative cards with ONE signature attack with each card. sorry if it's was not clear enough.

so you can count the second (card) attack for a counterattack if you like (that was my point).
Not your fault, sir. I was confused 'cause I'm stupid.

Say, sorry for butting in on the OP question, but I think this place fits my question well, so... I recently had a situation where a player wanted to use a pistol shot stunt to Pin Down a Xeno, causing it to lose it's next Slow Action. I couldn't immediately find any rules saying this couldn't be done, so I allowed it, thinking it might serve for an interesting scene. The next question, of course, then became, what does "lose the next Slow Action" mean for a Xeno with signature attacks? In the end, not wanting to get bogged down, I just ruled that it lost its next signature attack and got to move if it wished. But how would all y'all deal with such a scene?
A xeno (or monster in FbL) use their slow action to do their signature attack (or monster attack in FbL). Their fast action can be used to move around (or whatever they can do with a fast action).