Jedo
Topic Author

Political Map

Thu 12 Aug 2021, 20:29

I went ahead and made a political/regional map, to try and help understand the "lay of the land" better, without getting hung up on systems or sectors.

Here are the main regions mentioned so far:

And then here are the locations off the edge of the map:

(Let me know if I got anything wrong or overlooked anything important.)
Last edited by Jedo on Wed 18 Aug 2021, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.

_ArthurDallas_

Re: Political Map

Fri 13 Aug 2021, 16:05

this is great stuff man, wow, just a question where is (M) on your map ? A great job.

FenGiddel

Fri 13 Aug 2021, 20:25

Nice work!

Jedo
Topic Author

Sat 14 Aug 2021, 03:26

Fixed— Thanks!

Angelman

Sat 14 Aug 2021, 13:32

Great stuff, @Jedo! :D

If you're at all interested in doing the work, I'd personally LOVE to see a handful of these maps chronicling the spread of mankind's colonies through the Middle Heavens and the development of the political borders through the 22nd & 23rd centuries :) Huge ask, I know, but just in case you're thinking about it, I would find that very useful when trying to wrap my brain around the in-game history.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

ExileInParadise

Sat 14 Aug 2021, 16:55

If you're at all interested in doing the work, I'd personally LOVE to see a handful of these maps chronicling the spread of mankind's colonies through the Middle Heavens and the development of the political borders through the 22nd & 23rd centuries :) Huge ask, I know, but just in case you're thinking about it, I would find that very useful when trying to wrap my brain around the in-game history.
The closest you will probably get to this is to take the Prometheus / Weyland timeline from the 2011 marketing campaign which lists colonies and dates and port those over to the Free League map.

Or maybe something like this: https://yutani.studio/alien-timeline/

A big inconsistency you will need to figure a workaround for is that some of the colonies listed on the map were *moved* from their real position in space to fit somewhere on the game map.

Most of the colonies labeled KOI (Kepler Object of Interest) are stars that exist far beyond the drawn map.

So all time/distance calculations get a handwave anyway.

Here's just a sample of the examples I found trying to correct the ALIEN RPG map for 3D plotting:
The colony, its ALIEN map coordinates, and then at the end of the line - the real distance to that star ... way off the map really.
Someone wanted those colony names from the Prometheus teaser marketing stuff to be present in the game so these (and others) replaced real star names or just dropped in.

## XXX Kepler 22B (Pozhalujsta Outpost): 1.5, 9. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-22 Distance [lightyears] 587
## XXX KOI-1422 (Tzu Chi City): 1, 7.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-296 Distance [lightyears] 1822
## XXX KOI-1871 (Kahn Outpost): 2, 9.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. No match at http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/
## XXX KOI-227 (Hualien Colony): 0.5, 2. Union Of Progressive Peoples. No match at http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/ for KOI-227/KIC 6185476
## XXX KOI-2311 (Hui Outpost): 3.5, 9. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-1185 Distance [lightyears] 1518±16
## XXX KOI-2410 (Themis Outpost): 1.5, 7. Union Of Progressive Peoples. No match in http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/
## XXX KOI-252 (September Outpost, Sentryabr Base): 1.5, 9. Union Of Progressive Peoples. No match at http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/
## XXX KOI-255 (Honshu Colony): 1.5, 5.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-505 Distance [lightyears] 932±6
## XXX KOI-2626 (Sevodnya Colony): 1, 6.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-1652 Distance [lightyears] 822+104−98
## XXX KOI-2770 (Izvinte Outpost): 1.5, 8.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. No match in http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/
## XXX KOI-438 (Horizon City): 0.5, 5.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-155 Distance [lightyears] 986
## XXX KOI-448 (M'Toa Colony): 2.5, 6.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-159 Distance [lightyears] 1493
## XXX KOI-494 (Angkor Colony): 1, 4.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-577 Distance [lightyears] 1736±25
## XXX KOI-571 (Corinth Colony, Ouragon): 1, 4. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-186 Distance [lightyears] 492±59
## XXX KOI-736 (Davos Colony): -6.5, 3.Frontier. Primary system name Kepler-225 Distance [lightyears] 1116
## XXX KOI-812 (Ruby Colony): 0.5, 2.5. Three Worlds Empire. Primary system name Kepler-235 Distance [lightyears] 1714
## XXX KOI-898 (February Outpost): 2, 8.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-83 Distance [lightyears] 2021
## XXX KOI-899 (Echo Outpost): 2, 8.5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-249 Distance [lightyears] 753
## XXX KOI-952 (Huan Ying Colony): 0.5, 5. Union Of Progressive Peoples. Primary system name Kepler-32 Distance [lightyears] 1301

So, with baked-in fudge factors like that - the best advice I can give on how to plot progressive colonization would be to calculate each colony's distance to Sol, and its current affiliation, and then run a timeline of "how many years divided by furthest colony distance" and then advance the timeline year by year and increasing distance from Sol and just make it a kind of spherical progression.

We do know that in 2122 Zeta II Reticuli and Thedus are both "way out there" and when Sevatapol and Acheron were laid down - so that gives you some milestones to know how much the sphere of expansion progresses over time.
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

Jedo
Topic Author

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 00:17

Thanks!
Angelman, Yeah a series of maps showing the extent of exploration at key junctures of the timeline would help a lot. For instance, if the PCs are in a remote system and take refuge in an abandoned installation, it would be nice to know roughly how old could it be and where were the people from who originally built it.

For instance, I really not sure which parts of the 'red' section of the map were CANC space and which were UPP prior to the Dog War. It sounds like maybe UPP had more of the 'North West' and CANC had more of the 'North East of the outer veil. But there is no indication of where the old UPP/CANAC border was. But anyway it does seem to sound like when the UA moved up from the 'South East' and annexed the 'backhand' with the Crestus Prim Cluster, they basically grabbed the majority of the Chinese arm. And so in that was why in '63 china finally merged its remaining colonies into UPP space...

I feel like Gaska has a private idea of a possible "broad sweep of history" that fits all the canonical historical events to date, but it doesn't get detailed enough to make a map... since the next movie/tv series/comic book/novel will almost certainly introduce a new raft of historical events that may need to be accounted for.

Jedo
Topic Author

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 05:18

OK, here is my best guess as to how the borders MIGHT have developed...
Last edited by Jedo on Wed 18 Aug 2021, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Angelman

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 09:57

OK, here is my best guess as to how the borders MIGHT have developed...
Sir/Ma'am, you are the best. You spoil us! :mrgreen:
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Jedo
Topic Author

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 21:54

And while I am at it, here is a Wallpaper of the art [1080x1920]. (Are wallpapers still a thing? I have no idea.)