Angelman
Topic Author

What's next (after Colonial Marines Manual)?

Fri 16 Jul 2021, 18:52

Hey all,

I seem to remember having read somewhere that there's both a Colonists and Space Trucker sourcbook in the works/planned, in the same vein as the CM Manual; is that true, or did I dream that up? Also, what other things have the Alien RPG Engineers alluded to, if anything?

PS: For the record, I assume the Colonist book will delve into evil companies and their vile schemes (aka Space science stuff), while the Space Trucker thing will tackle the Engineers (aka. Space archeology stuff). I could be completely wrong, however.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

DeusXLondon

Re: What's next (after Colonial Marines Manual)?

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 08:28

Hi AM

It's a good question. Based on the September 2020 interview with Andrew Gaska, the next campaign book is on Exploration, so as you said, probably the engineers and xenoarcheology, with the Space Truckers one to follow that. Presumably the space truckers book could have rules for sandbox play as an independent trader. Colonists to follow later I guess?

Reading the CM handbook, some of the text refers to the forthcoming adventure 'Heart of Darkness', which sounds like a cinematic module, topic unknown, but in the interview Gaska mentions that Chariot and DoW are part of a cinematic module trilogy, so Heart could be the third of that.

DX

Angelman
Topic Author

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 10:51

Very cool stuff, indeed :) I was kind of assuming that the archeology stuff would be part of the Colonist book/project*, but perhaps a dedicated Engineers book is more likely?

*As in, Colony sets up = finds some weird-butt Ancient Alien/Däniken stuff nearby = the company sends a science team to investigate?

With Chariot of the Gods being Alien-esque and Destroyer of Worlds more Aliens-esque, I sort of assume the Heart of Darkness will go the Prometheus/Alien: Covenant route? I mean, they could perhaps do an Alien3-esque scenario, but that wouldn't be very different from the Alien-esque stuff, except for setting, perhaps?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Grimmshade

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 01:58

Whatever it ends up being, I can't wait for the next sourcebook and adventure. I don't even have my copy of the Colonial Marines book yet, but I'm ready for the next one because they are so high quality and interesting to read.

Attackmack

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 10:51

Hoping "Alien" becomes a longlived franchise for FL, if we get a colonist/exploration book followed by a spacetruckers book I would consider the game complete :)
Thats enough for a lifetime of gaming!

Angelman
Topic Author

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 11:06

Whatever it ends up being, I can't wait for the next sourcebook and adventure. I don't even have my copy of the Colonial Marines book yet, but I'm ready for the next one because they are so high quality and interesting to read.
Exactly that! I've skimmed the Colonial Marines Manual pdf and even I, who am not a big action GM/pop culture consumer, is loving this book :) I hope they find a way to make many, many more sourcebooks and campaigns for Alien RPG. Personally, I'm hoping for a full war-campaign setting down the line.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

DeusXLondon

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 16:16

Hi AM, all

Yes, the CM handbook is brilliant both as RPG and just as world-building.

Speaking of a colonists/exploration campaign manual, while you wait for that, AM, did you see the excellent colony building home-brew manual that InHarmsWay posted a few months ago?
Under the DM-only forum, search for "Alien RPG Colony Rulebook - Homebrew" if you haven't seen it. I'm planning to use it to flesh out some of my colonies.

DX

Angelman
Topic Author

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 16:27

Hi AM, all

Yes, the CM handbook is brilliant both as RPG and just as world-building.

Speaking of a colonists/exploration campaign manual, while you wait for that, AM, did you see the excellent colony building home-brew manual that InHarmsWay posted a few months ago?
Under the DM-only forum, search for "Alien RPG Colony Rulebook - Homebrew" if you haven't seen it. I'm planning to use it to flesh out some of my colonies.

DX
Cool :) I'll have to take a look at that! I'm currently knee deep in a multi-strand campaign and will likely not build a new campaign from scratch again this year, but the sourcebook sounds good.

I'm also looking forward to the CMM campaign scenarios, and other such sourcebook scenarios designed to showcase the creators' vision. I hope that upcoming sourcebooks will contain such campaigns, too :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Bengt Petter

Thu 22 Jul 2021, 13:27

I don’t think an underworld supplement has been mentioned so far, but I would certainly love to see one. It could describe some major crime syndicates. I imagine organisations like the Japanese Yakuza, the Hongkong Triad, and the Russian/Ukrainian Mob. Such real world syndicates could be twisted just a bit to fit the Alien universe. Most likely they will have some kind of corporate connections. And you could add some kind of organized crime within the U. P. P. territories too (with or without corporate connections).

To this I would also add stuff about prisons and penal colonies. Such sites are a possible part of a criminal career path. And of course, there are many hidden connections between the corporate world and the people in such locations. In an underworld supplement, I think there should be descriptions of some large facilities, and tools to create your own. I’m sure you can run an entire campaign set in a prison or penal colony.

An underworld supplement could also include bounty hunters and law enforcement, since they are obvious counterparts to the criminals. I would build some kind of plot hooks or rules for how corruption works in this specific setting. The cops are in it for the money, just like the criminals.

All this would be a different and new take on the Alien universe. It would make sense that there is some kind of underworld, not only on Earth.

Edit: I just changed a few language errors.
Last edited by Bengt Petter on Fri 23 Jul 2021, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 22 Jul 2021, 18:23

I don’t think an underworld supplement has been mentioned so far, but I would certainly love to see one.
That's an awesome idea! Such a sourcebook would add a lot of new nuance and expand the gaming world a whole lot. I'd absolutely pay top dollar for that, sir :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".