AceofSpades604
Topic Author

Ranged combat question

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 21:55

A question came up while playing Destroyer of Worlds and I couldn't find an answer in the Core book or CMOM. If someone makes a ranged attack at a target with one or more friendlies in between, what sort of penalty is appropriate for the attacker? Or should the target receive a cover bonus to armor? Assume a narrow hallway where the attacker can't just move for a better firing angle. Thank you.

Fenhorn

Re: Ranged combat question

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 22:36

Twilight 2000 4E has a "Friendly fire" rule that perhaps can be used. In that game if you fire at a target and you have one or more friendly fighters in between you and the target, you roll two dice, a hit means that a random friendly fighter has been hit and if both hits, you one one random friendly fighter and and the weapon damage is increased by one. It also triggers a Coolness Under Fire roll to avoid being suppressed, I guess the Alien version of that is the Panic Roll.

Perhaps this or a modified version of this can be used.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Pangea

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 23:01

If someone makes a ranged attack at a target with one or more friendlies in between, what sort of penalty is appropriate for the attacker?
There is no friendly fire, or any specific rule re. "people in the way".
You have range modifiers, and lighting (dim light etc.) on page 95.
So, per the rules, this changes nothing.

BUT-- page 63 has the "difficulty" rules, where the GM can decide that things are from "trivial" (+3) to "formidable" (-3).
Which states "sometimes, the GM might want to underscore that external factors either help or hinder an action".
I have always used that to give a -1 or -2 etc. to some rolls, including if I have the impression that a shooter has to make sure they don't clip their friends.

You could use Cover too of course.
Last edited by Pangea on Wed 23 Jun 2021, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Playing in France, and online

AceofSpades604
Topic Author

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 17:30

Thank you very much for your insights.