Grimmshade

Re: questions that came up playing the first time.

Sun 20 Jun 2021, 16:18

I don't have the panic table handy, but I believe scream happens and ends right there.

Grimmshade

Sun 20 Jun 2021, 19:02

This whole topic highlights why I wish that "actual plays" stuck to the rules as written. They could be great tools for teaching and learning a game. Instead every Alien actual play that I've watched has used a combination of house rules and/or messed up rules. Watching something like that doesn't really help anyone.

Pangea

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 23:21

Hey, you were not "dumb", just learning a new set of rules.
And, for me, personally, I don't thing "goofing something up" is very important. Again. if all have fun, mistakes are not too important.

"it didn't seem that 3-5 stress was 'running hot' at the time. maybe that's just our mistake.)"
One thing that players get used to, a bit meta, is to try and rest now and then to drop 1 or 2 stress.
Also, often, the GM will give moments to drop stress (to change rhythms etc.).
I would say 3 stress is kind of okay, but 4+ is a bit touchy (you have a 50% chance of getting a panic result on a panic roll).

re. Scream and when to trigger the panic-- it is not clearly specified, to me, when that happens.
I believe this depends on what triggered the panic roll.
If it is on the player's turn, then it happens in their init' in the round.
But some actions state that "you must make an immediate Panic Roll". For me, in that case, the scream would start at that moment, and raise others' Stress level-- and then you lose your Slow action when your init arrives.
My take on this is that both possibilities you gave are possible.

For your other question (re. Scream / Flee) there is a rule on p. 104:
PANIC ACTIONS: If you roll a 10 or higher on your Panic Roll, you will be forced to perform a specific action. If the Panic Roll was the
result of a skill check for an action, the action is cancelled and immediately replaced by the forced panic action, even if you rolled a 6.

So that rule means that you lose the actions (even if Flee is fast etc.).
Otherwise, for Scream etc., it seems pretty clear to me that you lose your slow action (and replace it by Scream), so I read it as "yes, you would spend THAT action screaming, thus clearing the effect".
Playing in France, and online

Grimmshade

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 02:19

Yeah, I would say that if the scream (etc) happens due to something other than a skill roll (like seeing someone else panic), you lose your next action. I don't think I've had this happen in a game yet.

SamuelBrett

Fri 27 Aug 2021, 07:22

One thing that players get used to, a bit meta, is to try and rest now and then to drop 1 or 2 stress.
Funny you should say that. Personally I think it's the opposite of "meta" and is actually good roleplaying. If you were these people in these situations you'd want to try to seek a safe place to calm down, ease your jittery nerves, and take stock. What's "meta" to me is when players treat their characters as disposable so they just keep piling on the stress. :?

AlienMobius

Sat 28 Aug 2021, 09:07

Regarding Panic Cascade and when panics ends, does not end or affects outcome of action.

From a discussion we had on Facebook, I came up with the following tracker. Which may help you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Ki9L2 ... sp=sharing

On Mitigating Panic Cascade, check my website : alienmobius.com in the rules section for some house rules.