Angelman
Topic Author

Re: How to deal with Character Death in a short game??

Thu 13 May 2021, 14:41

Isn't this specifically what cinematic play (which CotG is an example of) is supposed to handle? You get a character and play it according to the description and possibly some evolving instructions. When your character bites the bullet you assume a new character from the roster. Or, if you resolve a rivalry with another character and lose, your character evolves into an NPC and you take on a fresh member of the crew.

In Cinematic game play, there are no "pointless crew members", they are all there to be potential vehicles for the horror to be experienced by the players. If your players started out playing Dallas & Kane in an Alien - The Eight Passenger scenario, the Kane player might take on Ripley when he dies, and Dallas takes on Ash. When Ash & Ripley resolve their rivalry, with Ash losing, the Ash player surrenders Ash to the GM as an NPC (for a final exposition scene), and assumes Bret as their new character, and so on. Each character is supplied with evolving story-point instructions as the scenario roles on, and in the end, only Ripley and Jonsey remain as possible player characters. (In Alien, I wouldn't allow my players to play the monster... that sort of defies the fearing the dark thing)

That's how I understood Cinematic game play to work, at least?
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged