Jcrow
Topic Author

Firing Regular Weapons in Vaccuum

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:28

Hello all,

Perhaps I am missing it somewhere in the core rules, but is there a rule for if you can fire regular weapons (like pistols, revolvers, pulse rifles etc) in a vacuum? Had this come up from one of my players and my initial thought was "of course not" but I figure I need to actually support that with a real ruling.

Thanks all!

Attackmack

Re: Firing Regular Weapons in Vaccuum

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:41

Hello all,

Perhaps I am missing it somewhere in the core rules, but is there a rule for if you can fire regular weapons (like pistols, revolvers, pulse rifles etc) in a vacuum? Had this come up from one of my players and my initial thought was "of course not" but I figure I need to actually support that with a real ruling.

Thanks all!
I dont see a reason why you couldnt?
A rifle/pistol round is selfcontained and will ignite/fire without need of oxygen outside of it. Works in real life so assume it works in game as well.

Jcrow
Topic Author

Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:54

I actually had no idea that that was a thing, but after your response, I googled it and I learned something new today. That's wild! Now we're about to have some wild space shootouts! Appreciate the response

InHarmsWay

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 07:44

Guns can fire in space. Most modern bullets contain an oxidizing agent so it doesn't require air for it to go off.

Attackmack

Sun 28 Feb 2021, 15:31

I actually had no idea that that was a thing, but after your response, I googled it and I learned something new today. That's wild! Now we're about to have some wild space shootouts! Appreciate the response
Hahaha go nuts!
Just remember to remind your players every now and then about what a stray bullet can do to a spaceship/spacesuit :D

Asimovian

Sun 07 Mar 2021, 20:42

Also keep in mind Newton's Third Law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Assuming most scenes in vacuum will also be in zero-g, firing a gun or rifle in such an environment will push or spin the attacker. I would think a Mobility check would be necessary to avoid being disoriented or worse.

gyrovague

Sun 14 Mar 2021, 06:05

Also keep in mind Newton's Third Law: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Assuming most scenes in vacuum will also be in zero-g, firing a gun or rifle in such an environment will push or spin the attacker. I would think a Mobility check would be necessary to avoid being disoriented or worse.
When I was in middle school we had this one activity where we have to imagine we are going to be stranded in space (I can't remember the exact scenario) and had to pick 5 things from a list of items that we would want to have. I picked the .45 pistol, and argued with my teacher that the recoil would be useful for moving around in zero G.

Praetorian_1974

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 11:20

Hahaha go nuts!
Just remember to remind your players every now and then about what a stray bullet can do to a spaceship/spacesuit :D
also lets not forget badass recoil in a zero g environment (are the PC's boots magnetised or are they tethered to the ship in some way?

ExileInParadise

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 15:22

If you want to be extra obnoxious ... you can upcharge for "vacuum-rated" weapons that are designed and tested to fire in zero pressure

This would include use of different lubricants, for example, that are not prone to vacuum-welding due to out-gassing and such.

Also, keep in mind the thermals - does the ammunition work at those temperatures?

Finally, if it's a "smart" slug thrower - are the electronics hardened for direct exposure?

Most electrolytic capacitors are not going to fare well... many solder joints won't either.

Does the battery leak and explode in zero pressure or low temperature?

Look into what it takes for even the simplest items to get qualified for use in orbit by NASA, ESA, Roscosmos, etc. pressure, temperature, radiation - all of these have to be accounted for ... part by part.

https://standards.nasa.gov/all-standards - some of the NASA standards for inspecting electronics are terrifying compared to what I see in commercial / home use hardware.

Given what it takes to get a groundside laptop qualified to work in orbit on the space station, 5 X to 10 X base price of a groundside piece of equipment doesn't seem unreasonable...
We live, as we dream -- alone. ~ Joseph Conrad

VicariousReality

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 03:44

For what its worth -

Per the USCM Technical Manual, Colonial Marine weapons are capable of being used in vacuum. They use a caseless ammunition and the M41A pulse rifle in particular (page 15) is described as being perfectly usable in vacuum with the warning that it is not recoil dampened or stabilized and not great for free-fall operations. The M56 Smartgun might be a different animal, as it is fully stabilized on its articulation arm.