Gareth
Topic Author

Armour rules

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 11:56

How are people finding the armour rules?

They can require rolling bucketfulls of dice (especially for vehicles), and can be a little swingy in my opinion,

Even something like a longstreet can only expect to get 2 damage reduction after a typical roll.

I'm pondering tweaking them substantially, maybe going with a "saving throw" reflecting coverage (so a full suit might be 1+, or 2+ if there are significant weak points, and a vest and helmet 3+ or 4+, etc), and direct damage reduction,

Hit the save and damage is reduced, fail and maybe an unarmoured location, joint, faceplate or whatever is hit - no protection at all.

If an attack specifically hits a particular location, then skip the save and apply armour if, in the GMs opinion, it would help (M3 armour not going to help vs a headbite attack for example),

So M3 armour might afford a 3+ save (torso and head protection) with damage reduction 2. Good protection vs. light weapons.

This seems like it would be less hassle in-game, though my worry is that it might require looking over damage scores,

Thoughts?

TSQUAUGHPFT

Re: Armour rules

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 23:06

I like that idea. Saving throw for movement, cover and armor maybe? If I understand correctly. I like rolling for armor to negate damage. I am working on some modifications to the rules now and hadn't considered this. I don't know if i like the idea of hit locations or not. I'm old school so I should! I've definitely considered some changes, though. I can't ever leave anything well enough alone.

Gareth
Topic Author

Sat 23 Jan 2021, 23:45

Yeah,

I didn't call them hit locations as such, but they could easily map to them, though that might easily be an option,

Lagi

Mon 25 Jan 2021, 22:56

i agree there is too much dice rolling (also Alien dice for attacks, the Acid Splash from alien in melee). Nothing kills RolePlaying like rolling and rolling to resolve single turn of combat.

not sure if the roll for cover is required. Just flat 1 point of armor reduction is fine. Take into account that damage is swingy and come from hit successess. Which make lot of sens and its realistic/feel right actually.

my houserule