Wolfclaw
Topic Author

Overwatch, HELP!

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 21:59

Hello. I have some understanding/explaining issues with the overwatch rule.

My understanding of overwatch is, when a PC decides to go into overwatch that PC's position is stationary and as stated focused in one specific direction. Does that mean every round a PC needs to re-enter overwatch? I get confused here because on page 97 in the core rulebook under LOSING OVERWATCH it is writen:
LOSING OVERWATCH: You keep your overwatch position as long as you do nothing but shoot in the chosen direction. If you perform any other action, the overwatch position is lost. It is also immediately lost if either of the following occurs:
T You are attacked in close combat.
T You suffer damage. ■
My logics says "No, you don't have to coz it is writen that you keep your overwatch position as long as you do nothing but shoot in the chosen direction."
On the other hand can a PC in overwatch aim to use the quick action...in general i feel there are a lot of "traps" in the writing of overwatch rules.

Fenhorn

Re: Overwatch, HELP!

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 23:25

For me it is simple. You loose Overwatch if you perform any other action than Shoot (or you suffer damage or is attacked in close combat).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Wolfclaw
Topic Author

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 07:19

That makes perfect sense. But I can't help myself to wonder why would you trow away a fast action? I think there is somthing missing in the rules to enhance them more or simply make more sense. For example I am playing a sniper in a military campaign and we all know sniper in real life is a person who assumes an overwatch position and aims in a direction. And I can't realy play as that kind of sniper in a campaign where I am trowing away an unused action :)

Fenhorn

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 08:09

Overwatch is used to fire out of initiative order.

The rule exist in games to solve the issue with that the game is turn-based. For example, if you are inside a room, all sorts of idiots could pass by the doorway and in a turn-based game, you could never shoot them because they are just passing by and when it is your turn, you don't see them again. With the Overwatch rule, you can keep watch of the doorway and shoot the idiot that keeps passing by the doorway because you stopped the action when he is visible ni the doorway.

A sniper can go into Overwatch and shoot if someone just comes into his view but he can also if the target stays in his view during his turn, aim and shoot.

sathyr

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 18:26

Being able to make an attack out of turn order and interrupt somebody else's action is enough of an advantage to warrant the cost of both actions. That's the way the rule is written.

Wolfclaw
Topic Author

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 21:52

I don't feel like a waste of fast action, stationary position and giving up on use of talents is worth it. Also overwatch by itself does not give any bonus dice.

sathyr

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 07:51

You're free to play with house rules, but that's the way the book is written. Being able to act out of turn and potentially interrupt/negate an enemy's entire action is a huge benefit. I think it easily warrants the cost.

Andreu

Mon 17 Aug 2020, 14:38

Interesting point. You can still aim first and overwatch right after to obtain that +2 bonus of the "aimed shot". Of course, if your initiative is early in the round you are likely to lose the chance to fire at someone but if you ara acting last in the round then it actually makes sense to aim first if you can. Another discussion can be the fact that if you should actually be able to aim at something that is still not in your sights... This kind of situations always arise when keeping rules simple, but they also create some interesing meta game.

Fenhorn

Mon 17 Aug 2020, 14:48

Interesting point. You can still aim first and overwatch right after to obtain that +2 bonus of the "aimed shot". Of course, if your initiative is early in the round you are likely to lose the chance to fire at someone but if you ara acting last in the round then it actually makes sense to aim first if you can. Another discussion can be the fact that if you should actually be able to aim at something that is still not in your sights... This kind of situations always arise when keeping rules simple, but they also create some interesing meta game.
It cost you a fast action to assume an overwatch position and then you can shoot at any time until it is your turn again the next round. This cost a slow action (so you must save your slow action so you can use it for for this overwatch fire). The rule also say that "you keep your overwatch position as long as you do nothing but shoot in the chosen direction. If you perform any other action, the overwatch position is lost."

Aiming must be done just before you shoot. "If you do anything else except shoot your weapon after you have aimed <>." To assume an overwatch position breaks aiming since it goes under "anything else".

Andreu

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 14:24

It cost you a fast action to assume an overwatch position and then you can shoot at any time until it is your turn again the next round. This cost a slow action (so you must save your slow action so you can use it for for this overwatch fire). The rule also say that "you keep your overwatch position as long as you do nothing but shoot in the chosen direction. If you perform any other action, the overwatch position is lost."

Aiming must be done just before you shoot. "If you do anything else except shoot your weapon after you have aimed <>." To assume an overwatch position breaks aiming since it goes under "anything else".
You are right, I missed that part of the aim. Thanks for pointing it out!