Andy GW
Topic Author

Any tips for Campaign Play?

Sat 04 Jul 2020, 15:39

I've had a blast running a modified version of Chariot of the Gods scenario (run it 3 times) and some of my players have asked about an extended campaign. I have several ideas about the story I want to run, however, I'm not familiar enough with the system to really gauge how well it will hold up to extended play. Is there actually enough character depth and development baked in or was the game really only designed for one-shots. I noted another poster on here said he felt the campaign aspect was kind of bolted on.

My questions to GMs running longer games are, do you have any tips, house rules or tweaks to the system that you could share? As an example, Coriolis has been out a lot longer and has far more support. Both games use a very similar system. Have you ported anything over?

Vader

Re: Any tips for Campaign Play?

Sat 04 Jul 2020, 17:46

YZE is basically a one-shot system ... I believe it fair to say that the "cinematic" adventure is the default mode of this game. It has indeed been suggested that the campaign mode is just the bare minimum to be able to market this as a role-playing game in a traditional sense, rather than an elaborate "storytelling boardgame".

But that being said, the game offers a (very) basic guideline for how to distribute XP, that you are free to follow or modify (I'd suggest modifying it), and a basic structure for using these XP for character development (being that basically anything you want to do costs 5XP).

Is this really enough of a system to base proper campaign play on? For some it is, certainly. Will it be for you? Well ... what do you need? What are your expectations?

Some YZE games place emphasis on "base building" one way or another as a structure for campaign play, but this game doesn't have that (at least, not yet - perhaps they'll find a way to bolt that concept onto the campaign play in the "Colonial Marines" or "Space Truckers" or "Colonist" campaign modules).
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Andy GW
Topic Author

Sun 05 Jul 2020, 15:05

I'd be interested to hear your ideas for modifying the XP system. I'm completely open to hacking whatever game I play.
There are a number of things I've been considering. The Stress mechanic is great when the heat is on but somewhat pointless when time is in abundance. eg, you need to fix something or avoid something on your ship on a 3-month journey to Antares etc. In those situations I'm thinking of turning the stress into a metagame point for the GM, to be spent later.
The skill set is fine but just 12 skills doesn't allow for too much individuality between characters. I'd look to add one more skill per stat, bringing the total to 16.
The XP mechanic I've not studied closely atm because I've only played Cinematic mode so far.

Now oftentimes the advice I receive is just to player Traveller or another sci-fi rpg instead, one that has a more robust campaign framework. Certainly a good point for sure, however, I want to keep the Alien aesthetic. My Traveller games have a very different feel.

Vader

Mon 06 Jul 2020, 11:52

I completely understand what you mean. The good old Traveller:2300/2300AD had a style I felt worked well with the ALIEN setting (I ran such a game back in the day), but classic Traveller and its later evolutions ... don't.

As for XP, for the moment, I completely ad-lib it, awarding points for "the usual" - good roleplaying, managing something out of the ordinary, that sort of thing. Just surviving an encounter with the Alien is certainly worth a few points...
I try to make sure everyone leaves every session with at least five XP. That rate can be modified to take into account how long the campaign is expected to be, i.e. how quickly you want the characters to develop.
There was a discussion on this topic in the GM section a few weeks ago ... perhaps one of the posts there offers something you find useful.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

Andy GW
Topic Author

Tue 07 Jul 2020, 00:43

Thanks for that. I'll take a look.

Diego

Mon 20 Jul 2020, 23:56

Thanks for that. I'll take a look.
Bit late to the party as I haven't been checking the forums recently, but I've pm'd you some stuff that may help.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

soundwavesghost

Mon 27 Jul 2020, 16:28

While I'm not a fan of the throwing tons of xp at my players xp system otherwise the system works well enough for normal RP. I mean the main book supports campaign play as its just the rules to play. Most of the Cinematics break or add stuff that is mostly unique to that situation while the main book is the core universe.

Diego

Mon 03 Aug 2020, 03:18

While I'm not a fan of the throwing tons of xp at my players xp system otherwise the system works well enough for normal RP. I mean the main book supports campaign play as its just the rules to play. Most of the Cinematics break or add stuff that is mostly unique to that situation while the main book is the core universe.
Your not wrong, there are a lot of questions to get xp from, part of why I limit it to 4 and 8 depending on how long the session was.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

TSQUAUGHPFT

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 07:05

I put together a rough Alien civilian campaign book. It's rough, but it has lots of pictures, details, lore, etc. If you are interested let me know!

Vader

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 11:10

I'd say the game in its basic form is primarily geared towards the "cinematic" one-shots.

The upcoming campaign expansion modules — Marines should be coming later this year — can be expected to add more focus on actual campaign play.

How FL chooses to approach this; if e.g. character depth will be enhanced to accommodate that play style, or if the main continuity element will be a base building mechanic of some sort, for instance; remains of course to be seen.