Gebohq
Topic Author

Homebrew Class: Lowlife & new "Kid" rules

Wed 17 Jun 2020, 04:18

So I know there have been past threads discussing the merits of the "Kid" career, and I was one of those people who felt things should have been handled differently. I finally got around to writing an official "replacement" for the Kid career which, while mechanically is the same minus starting gear, I think helps provide players with a more reasonable "career" to run with. I didn't want to write out playing as a kid altogether, though, and made some special rules to treat them in a fashion not unlike playing as an android. Let me know what you all think!

CLASS: LOWLIFE
It’s criminal how many aren’t paid enough to even live, and yet you’re one of those many considered the scum of society, regardless of if you’ve ever broken the law or not. You do what you have to do to get by though--squatting on worlds no angels dare tread, taking jobs everyone else is too good for, and always ready to run when the heat is on so you can live another day. No matter what anyone else says, however, you know you always pull through for those close to you, and you always stay true to your own code, ever faithful to what you believe in above all else.

KEY ATTRIBUTE: Agility
KEY SKILLS: Mobility, Survival, Observation
CAREER TALENTS: Beneath Notice, Dodge, Nimble

APPEARANCE
Choose from the options below or decide for yourself.
  • Grubby and unkempt
  • Worn-out sneakers
  • Bandage wrapped around a part once critically injured
  • Dark hoodie with holes in it
  • Cheap welding goggles
  • Shaved head with serialized tattoo on the back
  • Dead expression
  • Homemade wool cap

GEAR
Choose two of the starting items below. You also get D6x$1 in cash.
  • Cheap knife OR Lead pipe
  • Magnetic Tape OR “Bug Juice” protein drink
  • Seegson C-60 “spacewalk-man” OR Personal holy book
  • Recreational drugs OR Bottle of cheap liquor

PERSONAL AGENDA
Choose from the options below or decide for yourself.
  • You want to make a big score, whatever that takes.
  • You were wrongly convicted and are on the run, and you’re now searching for evidence to prove your innocence.
  • You lost everyone that was once close to you, and now you’re struggling to find people you can really trust and care for once more.

SIGNATURE ITEM
Choose one of the following or come up with one for yourself:
  • Beat-up Koorlander brand tin box
  • Inconspicuous metal ring
  • Tired old dog

SPECIAL RULES: KID CHARACTERS
[Note: You cannot also be an android if you take the “kid” type.

Kids have been no exception when it comes to dealing with the types of challenges one might face in the ALIEN roleplaying game, and you can play one as your player character. Even in colony life, however, kids are rarely placed in situations typical in the Alien roleplaying game, and we recommend that you talk it through with the rest of the group before creating a kid PC for a Campaign game. Kids can have any “career” and suggestions are provided as to what it might mean for a kid to have that role. Your GM may also bar certain talents at their discretion.

Colonial Marine: Boy/Girl scout or “bully”
Colonial Marshall: Junior reporter or nosy kid
Company Agent: Spoiled brat or “popular kid”
Lowlife: Delinquent or orphan
Medic: Nurse-in-training or “dreamer”
Officer: Model student or “normal kid”
Pilot: Bicycle/tricycle rider or wild kid
Roughneck: “Family helper” or “jock”
Scientist: Gifted student or “nerd”

Rules-wise, kids also work a little differently from standard characters:
  • Kids start with only 10 points for their starting attribute points, with each attribute ranging from 1 to 3, though they may place a 4 in their career’s key attribute.
  • Kids are adaptable with their future ahead of them, and so do not need to allocate skill points until the skill is first used in gameplay. Normal limits for how points are allocated are otherwise followed.
  • Kids are notoriously stubborn. In addition to the usual rules for pushing rolls, a kid may also push a roll once more beyond.
  • Kids recover from stress more easily with their signature item. When a kid uses their signature item, they reduce their stress by two steps instead of one.
  • Kids shape the stories that involve them and learn quickly. In Cinematic modes, a PC playing as a Kid earns 2 Story Points for every point normally earned and can have a maximum of 6 points (though only 1 can still be carried over into another game). In Campaign modes, a PC playing as a Kid earns 2 XP for every 1 XP normally earned.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

Vindictus

Re: Homebrew Class: Lowlife & new "Kid" rules

Wed 17 Jun 2020, 14:56

I dont think kids necessarily have to be little kids. I have a "kid" in my colonial marine campaign thats 18. I think anyone whos under 20 and kindve ignorant of the world can be a kid.