Gebohq
Topic Author

Character name suggestions

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 23:53

Hey all! So as I've been slowly tinkering with various one-shot cinematic scenarios (specifically one that'll be based on The Thing), I've come up with a list of possible last names for potential characters (both PC and NPC) that would hail from the various governmental powers. In the spirit of the first Alien movie script pre-casting, I've only come up with last names, in part because for PCs, I think it's also nice to allow the player to decide the gender. With that said, I don't know when I'll actually get to completing even one of my scenarios, and want to at least share this much, perhaps inspiring others to use and/or add from here. So here's what I got, which isn't much as I was also attempting to pick names I felt could have been used if made into an actual movie:

Union of Progressive Peoples (Russian and Chinese names -- this was the hardest list for me to make so I have the fewest here)
Volkov, Markov, Yuan, Guan

Three World Empire (Japanese and Indian -- I omitted English as I felt those are relatively easy to think up already)
Kita, Mori, Anand, Das, Iyer, Joshi, Kaur

United Americas (largely drew on Portuguese and French to represent at least Brazil and Canada) 
Barros, Freitas, Palmeiro, Rios, Baudin, Blanc, Carpentier, Dumont, Duval, Louis, Roger, Rousseau

Independent Core System Colonies (there's less national ties to this, as they could be former 3WE or UA, so to make them different from others, I drew from Swiss, Arabic, and Jewish, the last one there largely to reflect how I think Hollywood would go about naming in this situation for better or worse)
Müller, Meier, Keller, Ajam, Najjar, Samara, Campbell (Jr.), Katz, Shapiro, Sherman

Let me know what you all think, and if you feel so inspired, add to the list for others to draw from!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

Fumarole

Re: Character name suggestions

Tue 04 Feb 2020, 19:06

Using a random name generator like this one is always a good option. The option to generate ship, planet and location names is a nice bonus.

Gebohq
Topic Author

Wed 17 Jun 2020, 21:12

In the spirit of taking names from works written by Joseph Conrad, I also made a list of names I thought stood out that weren't already used to my knowledge in the Alien franchise. Funny enough, it made me realize how much the tradition is carried on by the RPG writers for Hope's Last Day and Chariot of the Gods, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of these names show up in Destroyer of Worlds and beyond. The names could also be used for ship names, of course.

Marryat
Marseilles
Cervoni
Mahon
Spiridion
Tilkhurst
Thys
Razumov
Tadeusz
Maroola
Lakamba
Allistoun
Donkin
Brierly
Doramin
Waris
Gurnard
Callan
Jukes
Rout
Madox
Decoud
Avellanos
“Fussy Joe”
Ribiera
Ethelred
Michaelis
Ossipon
Tekla
Mikulin
Necator
Barral
Blunt
Travers
Immada
Peyrol
Malata
Arsat
Kayerts
Carlier
Makola
Yanko
Leggatt
Last edited by Gebohq on Thu 18 Jun 2020, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Vindictus

Thu 18 Jun 2020, 11:49

A lot of these are already ship names in the alien universe like Almayer and Tremolino

Gebohq
Topic Author

Thu 18 Jun 2020, 19:34

A lot of these are already ship names in the alien universe like Almayer and Tremolino
I went back and removed ones I found via a search on the AVP wiki, though I was relieved to discover it wasn't "a lot" that I needed to remove. If there's something still on the list that's been used, a link to where it's referenced would be appreciated. :)

Vindictus

Thu 18 Jun 2020, 22:22

I was relieved to discover it wasn't "a lot"

typical vindictus exaggeration :P