The JollyGM

Borrowing from Coriolis..

Tue 07 Jan 2020, 22:44

So, been thinking about adding a little more depth to the campaign mode. So I have been looking at Coriolis for ideas, mostly for additional character types, and even equipment and weapons. 
I feel confident that I am not the only one who has been trying to swap some ideas over.

How do you all feel about using some of the character types from Coriolis, which ones do you think are the easiest to convert but not already similar to the alien character types?

Ideas, suggestions, brain storms?

Hadesblade

Re: Borrowing from Coriolis..

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 18:22

I did not know about that one so thanks for sharing. I looked through the pdf and it has a lot of very similar mechanics that could be easily imported over. One thing I plan to do it use their formula for health of it is str+agility rather than just str. I also like the ships from that system and most of the gear. I feel those two areas are what’s really lacking in the Alien rpg. I understand death is real and I want that there but I also want the players to have a chance to survive in a long term campaign even against a few xenomorph encounters. I plan to look over the core book more this weekend and see what can be cherry picked. I even thought of using that whole system as a new threat that has come from the outer rim. Some encounters would give the pc’s a chance to pick up on some of that new gear or possibly capture a ship. Or both sides are viaing for resources on a plant and unbeknownst to them there is a hive there. Now they have to work together to survive.

The1TrueFredrix

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 20:00

Be wary of using Coriolis’s Health score vs Alien. The extra pulpiness of Coriolis health goes against the “life can be snuffed in an instant” feel of Alien (and indeed in Coriolis critical injuries are a lot easier to get.)
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Hadesblade

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 22:01

I understand that their should be a real threat of death. Maybe it’s my years of playing D&D and pathfinder but I have found that if players are dying a lot in a campaign they will start to loose interest. I think that extra boost is not something that will break the system.

Konungr

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 03:52

I understand that their should be a real threat of death. Maybe it’s my years of playing D&D and pathfinder but I have found that if players are dying a lot in a campaign they will start to loose interest. I think that extra boost is not something that will break the system.
I think alien is less suited to a campaign in which the same group of characters keep adventuring. I think it's better suited to a series of episodes that take place in the same canon and jump from characters to characters and story to story to tell an over all plot that stretches across them all.

Alien isn't alien without it's lethality and body count and the xenomorph will suffer villain decay if it's never able to do anything lasting or meaningful to the players.

HamsterOfWrath

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:37

I've been pondering about using the health rules from Coriolis in the Alien RPG Campaign play myself, it does cause a bit of a conundrum. On one hand, as far as I can tell, it does little to reduce the lethality of the Xenomorphs. Most of their signature attacks, the deadly ones at least, trigger if their victim suffers one point of damage. The other attacks are mobility or stress based. The victims total health doesn't seem to be a contributing factor. 

On the other hand, it raises the durability of characters against every other threat they will face, which is a mixed bag. It will raise most characters Health to around 7 or 8. Normally, a Pilot, an Agility based character, would probably have 2 or 3 Health maximum. Anything other than a base success hit with a pistol will drop them in one shot. I can see that being a bit problematic in Campaign play, if the first time combat breaks out they take an unlucky crit hit and die right there. Fine for a Cinematic scenario, a bit rough for a Campaign. 

Contrast with a Roughneck who now has 8 Health and the Resilient talent on top, who can now potentially shrug off multiple Assault Rifle shots and due to how the Talent works, effectively has 8 points of natural armour. However due to all tests being resolved by rolling 6s it can be boom or bust for taking or shrugging off damage.

So, in short, using the Coriolis health system doesn't save you from having your head bitten off by a Xeno, but certainly lessens the threat from literally every other peril you will encounter, unless I've missed something.

Edit: That all said, there are only four results on the Critical Hit table which result in instant death, so perhaps embrace the low health for Campaign play and just prepare for characters to be scarred and maimed if they survive long enough.  :D

Edit the Second: Nicking an idea from Warhammer 40k Wrath and Glory, if a character has a visible scar from a critical hit, give them a +1 or -1 dice for Command or Manipulation tests depending on the situation, think Hicks acid scarred face if he'd survived the events of the movies. Obviously this wouldn't be a cumulative bonus. 

The1TrueFredrix

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 20:09

I still think be wary... though I have not looked into it in any great detail, I am aware that all the other Year Zero Engine games just use the strength stat for health. Coriolis is the outlier in terms of adding both physical stats together. At least in Alien your dice pool does not shrink with damage as it does with most of the other systems. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Hadesblade

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 20:34

I think in cinematic mode as is works well but in campaign mode not so much. If the intent was to be so dang lethal then they should state each player needs to make several characters as your first one may die soon. Most of my players are younger and have only played D&D 5E or the little bit of Starfinder I talked them into. Most of them see no point playing a campaign were characters are constantly dying. So I think it would not take away from how lethal a Xenomorph encounter would be. It will mean against a group of mercs or gang members they won’t go down in the first round.

The1TrueFredrix

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 21:38

Remember. Your character does not die when they get zero health. I would try it RAW first, but of course, it’s your table, your rules.  :)

HamsterOfWrath

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 01:46

I think in cinematic mode as is works well but in campaign mode not so much. If the intent was to be so dang lethal then they should state each player needs to make several characters as your first one may die soon. Most of my players are younger and have only played D&D 5E or the little bit of Starfinder I talked them into. Most of them see no point playing a campaign were characters are constantly dying. So I think it would not take away from how lethal a Xenomorph encounter would be. It will mean against a group of mercs or gang members they won’t go down in the first round.
Then I would totally go with the Coriolis way of calculating health. The classic Xenomorph signature attacks don't care how much health someone has and it will make the Player Characters stiffer opposition for "regular" opponents. Fun trumps rules. 

That said The1TrueFredrix is right in that hitting 0 Health does not mean you automatically die. You have a 4 in 66 chance of rolling instant death on a Critical for Player Characters. Just as an example, I ran a kitbashed Cinematic scenario with some of the players taking PCs from Chariot of the Gods. The 2 Health Pilot character made it all the way until the end, right up until a skill check with all his stress dice pushed him over the edge and he blew the Company Agents arm off with a rifle, forcing the Roughneck to put him down with a flamethrower. :D  That said the results may have been skewed a bit by the Game Mother (me) not being able to BUY a 6 on my dice at critical moments. 
GZIP: Off