sathyr
Topic Author

Prometheus, Cronus, Heliades- and Magellan-class stats

Sat 21 Dec 2019, 01:40

Hey folks!

While the Cronus (a Heliades-class vessel, the same class as the Prometheus) is featured and detailed in Chariot of the Gods, it is not given a full stat block like the rest of the ships in the Core book. Based on the information given in that book, and information taken from supplemental material for Prometheus, I thought it'd be handy to cook up a player-usable version of the ship. I'll try to make my method transparent (particularly where I've had to make arbitrary decisions) because this is by no means an ironclad authoritative definition of the ship, and as such any comments or suggestions are more than welcome :)

Something to note: CotG mentions that "modern" ships of this lineage are called the Magellan-class, while the Prometheus and Cronus are the older Heliades-class (with the Cronus being slightly newer than Prometheus). With that in mind, I've given stats based on the Heliades-class; the modern Magellan would likely perform better in some areas, and I've tried to point out where I think this applies. The design itself is made to accommodate long-range surveying, prospecting, exploration, and research missions - a role not necessarily covered by the other vessels in the core book.

MANUFACTURER: Weyland Corp

CREW: 6-17 (1)

AI: MU/TH/UR 2000 (2)

LENGTH: 130 meters

FTL RATING: 72 (3)

SIGNATURE: +1

THRUSTERS: +1

HULL: 7

ARMOR RATING: 5

INTERNAL MODULES:
  • Artificial Intelligence I
  • Air Scrubbers II
  • Cargo Bay III x2 (4)
  • Corporate Suite II
  • Cryo Deck III
  • Class A Ejection Pod I x8
  • Galley III
  • Medlab II
  • Science Lab III
  • Vehicle Bay IV
  • Additional Size III Module (5)
UPGRADES: Planetfall Capacity, possibly others (6)

1Both the Prometheus and the Cronus have a Crew listing of 17, which is quite high compared to every other vessel. The total complement of the Prometheus mission was 17, which is where this number must come from - but of those, there was a Captain, two Pilots, four Mechanics, and one Medical Officer (with the rest being Scientists, Mercenaries, and company reps.) I think a more accurate representation would be that the ship requires 6-8 crew members to operate, and has an additional passenger capacity of 9-11.

2I couldn't find a reference on whether or not the Prometheus had an on-board AI, but the Cronus is listed as having a MU/TH/UR 2000. A modern ship would naturally sport a newer mainframe, such as the 6000. EDIT: The Prometheus does seem to have an AI installed, though AFAIK the exact model is not defined.

3EDIT: At the suggestion of the very helpful S.M below, I've changed the FTL rating to more accurately reflect the two-year journey of the Prometheus. As for the modern Magellan-class, something you might utilize as a player ship, I'd (completely arbitrarily) assign it an FTL rating of 16; faster than the short-range Corvus, slower than the commercial Bison or the military-grade Conestoga.

4The Prometheus was said to be able to carry 9 megatonnes, which does not track with how the game interprets the setting's starships. I chose to interpret this as, similar to the Nostromo, that its engines can tow that much cargo when equipped with a tractor hitch (see below). The Cronus does have two medium-ish internal cargo bays, however, so I took a guess at how they should be represented.

5The Prometheus had a Class-D Lifeboat module featured in the film, and CotG explains the Cronus had an additional, detachable Science Lab instead. Both are Size III modules. I would say that this is where a tractor hitch would be installed, or another module, depending on the mission profile.

6Some of the other vessels come with upgrades pre-installed, but as those upgrades are already included in their statistics, it really only serves to define a limit for how many more upgrades could be installed. Rather than weigh in myself I've elected to leave this open to interpretation; the only thing we know for sure is that it has a planetfall capability.

So that's that! Hope this is useful to some of you, and as I said, please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts. I'm bound to have overlooked something, or interpreted the material in a way that doesn't make sense.
Last edited by sathyr on Sun 22 Dec 2019, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

S.M

Re: Prometheus, Cronus, Heliades- and Magellan-class stats

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 10:57

It was possible to fly Prometheus with a single pilot (though not preferable).

We hear the AI making announcements in Prometheus similar to Mother in Alien.

Prometheus would have a FTL rating of around 72.

sathyr
Topic Author

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 19:12

It was possible to fly Prometheus with a single pilot (though not preferable).

We hear the AI making announcements in Prometheus similar to Mother in Alien.

Prometheus would have a FTL rating of around 72.
Hmm... where are you getting that FTL rating? It occurred to me after you said this that I could have just counted parsecs on the map but that gives me a rating closer to 60 (unless the Prometheus' journey took longer than 2 years, which is entirely possible). I've updated it in any case, and turned the old FTL rating into my suggestion for the modern-day Magellan-class. Also made an additional note about the AI. Thanks!

S.M

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 22:00

I used a distance of 12 parsecs and travel time of 874 days for the FTL rating.