Riggswolfe

Costs not in the core book (fuel, air, lodging etc)

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 21:05

More or less what I said. Assuming my players decide to go somewhat independent when we start our game in a bit over 2 weeks I wondered if I should track this. We know how much a lease on a ship costs and how much spare parts cost but not much else. 

How much does fuel cost? I wondered if it shouldn't be a supply rating and have the cost based on the size of the ship? Something like a Nostromo-style freighter would cost $10,000 per point of supply? Air would cost less, maybe $5,000 per point of supply or something? Those numbers may seem high but the jobs can pay reasonably well once I read over them. 

What about lodging? By this I mean, what if they stop at a hotel on Novogrod? I'm not terribly worried about this but it is something I'm curious about.

Mods: If this needs to be in GM only that's cool. I just figured its not about story spoilers or the like so would be fine in general.

Fenhorn

Re: Costs not in the core book (fuel, air, lodging etc)

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 21:22

I think we can assume that if the players are independent, then those cost is equal to the living expense cost (p160) and the lease cost (p168) so if a group of players have an G Class ship that would have a lease cost of roughly $6,500 a week and plus $600 for basic living expenses for a crew of 6 = $7,100 a week.

If the players work for a company, then we can just assume that the company will take care of these costs and the players will just get a weekly salary instead (p162).´

For other things I think the GM has to wing it based on these numbers, at least until we get a sourcebook that expands on this things.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Diego

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 01:30

More or less what I said. Assuming my players decide to go somewhat independent when we start our game in a bit over 2 weeks I wondered if I should track this. We know how much a lease on a ship costs and how much spare parts cost but not much else. 

How much does fuel cost? I wondered if it shouldn't be a supply rating and have the cost based on the size of the ship? Something like a Nostromo-style freighter would cost $10,000 per point of supply? Air would cost less, maybe $5,000 per point of supply or something? Those numbers may seem high but the jobs can pay reasonably well once I read over them. 

What about lodging? By this I mean, what if they stop at a hotel on Novogrod? I'm not terribly worried about this but it is something I'm curious about.

Mods: If this needs to be in GM only that's cool. I just figured its not about story spoilers or the like so would be fine in general.
We actually have had similiar thoughts. I charged mine 5000 per point of supply and they make the supply roll each parsec. I've capped the tank at 8 units max, but they've taken it upon themselves to generally run at 5 so they don't blow their supply too fast and pay for excess dice. But they know if they go on a very long run they will need to fill up to the top.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up

Riggswolfe

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 04:25

I think we can assume that if the players are independent, then those cost is equal to the living expense cost (p160) and the lease cost (p168) so if a group of players have an G Class ship that would have a lease cost of roughly $6,500 a week and plus $600 for basic living expenses for a crew of 6 = $7,100 a week.

If the players work for a company, then we can just assume that the company will take care of these costs and the players will just get a weekly salary instead (p162).´

For other things I think the GM has to wing it based on these numbers, at least until we get a sourcebook that expands on this things.
Living expenses definitely covers food and such. But I don't think the lease covers fuel and air for the ship. That just seems a bit...off. But perhaps I am overthinking it.

Umberto Octo

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 15:46

You aren't overthinking it. It's a glaring absence in the book.

Space station docking fees, refueling, ship resupply of food, etc ad astra.

For our games, we've adapted these things from Traveller and Coriolis.

But it would have been nice to have had a paragraph dedicated to them since they are the bulk of costs for truckers and colonists. But truckers and colonists will wait in favor of military expenditures from the game producers, cuz y'know... space marines!
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Riggswolfe

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 15:56

For our games, we've adapted these things from Traveller and Coriolis.
I have Coriolis and didn't think to check it for these types of things...

Riggswolfe

Wed 22 Jan 2020, 21:50

A Necro but that Coriolis recommendation was right on. It has a maintenance sidebar. For a standard port it's 1/1000th of the ships cost and covers food, drink, air and fuel. You have to make a tech roll which I figure would be heavy machinery in Alien. If you fail you spend half the cash but don't get anything. Works perfect. I figure I'll use it once per session or something.

JennyWeb

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 12:55

I think I'm going to say for my game, at least as far as fuel goes, that the cost of this is built into the contract for a freight job. Of course, I'll still need to come up with something for when a ship travels off-course...

Diego

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 14:21

I think I'm going to say for my game, at least as far as fuel goes, that the cost of this is built into the contract for a freight job. Of course, I'll still need to come up with something for when a ship travels off-course...
Yeah I wanted a cost, not for the point of dipping into their profits but because I wanted them to have a finite supply and possibly put them at risk of been adrift.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up
GZIP: Off