Corporal Hicks

Re: Alien films

Tue 07 Jan 2020, 23:17

About films, why does many purist Alien-fans discard Alien 3?

I can very well understand Alien 4 (even though I like it in its own way), and definitely Prometheus and Covenant. However, Alien 3 seems to me have the same type of dark feeling as the two earlier, good characters, a deadly alien and so forth. What's not to like?
I think it starts with Hicks and Newt beein dead. Which I dont't like either. On the other hand, the Alien Universe is harsh...
For me Alien 3 is fine, it's atmossphere isn't as dense as the first two flicks and the CGI is bad, but I like the Setting of the Prisonplanet.
Kill it... kill it with fire!!!

Rymdhamster

Tue 07 Jan 2020, 23:48

It's pretty gloomy. In 1 and 2, the good guys win in the end. In 3, it's more of a loose-loose situation. Also, it I would imagine a lot of people balked at the new alien. 

But I really like Alien 3. The prison planet is cool, the prisoners are fun, Charles Dance is awesome, Weaver is extra badass. And of course, it gives us a bit deeper feel for the universe. 

I think Alien 3 and Aliens are the two movies I've seen the most times in this franchise. 

S.M

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 04:02

It starts by kicking the audience in the balls, and never really manages to get them completely back onside.

There's a bunch of bald nameless murderers and rapists who the audience doesn't really care about running around in the dark being chased by a dodgily composited Alien puppet and swearing at each other.

I mean, I love it - but it's very easy to see why many don't.

Riggswolfe

Wed 08 Jan 2020, 06:57

S.M. pretty much nailed why I personally dislike Alien 3. 
It starts by kicking the audience in the balls, and never really manages to get them completely back onside.

There's a bunch of bald nameless murderers and rapists who the audience doesn't really care about running around in the dark being chased by a dodgily composited Alien puppet and swearing at each other.

I mean, I love it - but it's very easy to see why many don't.
This is all exactly why I intensely dislike the movie. It turned the series into something akin to slasher movies where the previous survivors are killed off. It killed off two very popular characters in the opening credits. It introduced what I consider a plot hole in that it never bothers to explain how the queen got an egg onboard. And other than Ripley the only character I cared about was the doctor and he is killed off about the time he's getting truly interesting.

Add to that the fact that the theatrical cut has butchered plot lines and the CGI is laughably bad, like...SyFy campy movie bad and it's just hard for me to watch it. 

S.M

Thu 09 Jan 2020, 01:03

The only CG in the theatrical edition is the cracks on the Alien's head at the end, and the debris flying past the camera in some exterior shots.  The Alien is a puppet; not CG.

For the Special Edition they commissioned a couple of shots of a new computer generated Alien for the scene where it burst from the ox.  And it looked pretty good too, despite the SE being too long, too slow and too repetitive.

Riggswolfe

Fri 10 Jan 2020, 07:14

The only CG in the theatrical edition is the cracks on the Alien's head at the end, and the debris flying past the camera in some exterior shots.  The Alien is a puppet; not CG.

It's also CG in the scene where it runs up to Ripley and does the famous scene of hissing right in her face. That last shot is iconic. But the scene where it runs up to her is laughably bad. It's been 2 decades since I watched it so it may not be bad CG. It may be bad compositing of the puppet which is just as inexcusable.

S.M

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 23:21

Nah, that's also a puppet.  There is no CG Alien in the theatrical cut of the film.  The first CG Aliens on film were in Resurrection.

Corporal Hicks

Mon 13 Jan 2020, 00:23

I'm interessted, what do you guys think of Prometheus and Alien Covenant?
Kill it... kill it with fire!!!

decanox

Mon 13 Jan 2020, 01:09

Hi...

- Prometheus: First time I watched in cinema I didn't like at all. Next time, it was like a "meh... not bad, but not good".

It has interesting ideas without doubt like Engineers and all their background. The problems are that cons are heavier than pros.

The first one: Characters were stupid. I think that in this point there is consensus. All characters react with lack of interest towards the discover of an Alien race. Characters who react with stupidity when things go wrong (the geologist and the biologist touching the serpent as it was a toy, Charlize Theron running over the shadow of a huge ship, the Noomi Rapace boyfriend who drinks a glass of water with a black goo inside, etc. etc.). I think this drawback is so big that tarnishes the entire film.

The second one: I don't like the atmosphere. It should be filmed as "Rogue One" which respects the 70s and 80s films flavour with love. Here, for example, the Prometheus looks much modern than the Nostromo and it's supposed to be an older ship. They don't bother to care about this things at all, it's like the "Alien" movie doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's not so bad.

- Covenant: It's a much worse movie than "Prometheus".

First of all, it has the same structure as "Alien". There is no originality.
Second: The Characters are as stupid as the Prometheus characters.
Third: It's totally predictable. For example, anyone knew that David was not David when they escape?

The only thing I liked was Michael Fassbender and "David" although his character monopolizes the entire movie and the Aliens and Neomorphs were secundary. In fact, the film should be called "David" instead of "Alien: Covenant".        

S.M

Mon 13 Jan 2020, 07:53

Prometheus was the state-of-the-art company flagship; Nostromo was a dilapidated tug.  (Not sure where you get that Covenant has the same structure as Alien; the setup is similar, but it also owes something of a debt to Aliens, as well as going off in its own gothic direction.)

As for the films - enjoyed Prometheus.  Enjoyed Covenant more.  As much as I love Alien 3 and Resurrection, both prequels were better.