Bengt Petter

Re: Alien films

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:24

But in the theatrical version of the film, WY was bought out by Walmart, right? And who are the ”we” who decided to ditch that part of the story? Of course, you are free to do whatever you like in your campaign, but the opposite is just as valid. I’m one of quite few (?) people who actually liked Alien Resurrection.

sathyr

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 12:51

But in the theatrical version of the film, WY was bought out by Walmart, right? And who are the ”we” who decided to ditch that part of the story? Of course, you are free to do whatever you like in your campaign, but the opposite is just as valid. I’m one of quite few (?) people who actually liked Alien Resurrection.
That dialogue is only in the special edition. In the theatrical cut, Walmart is never mentioned.

Bengt Petter

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 14:27

You are probably right. I’ve seen Resurrection both in the cinema and (several times) on VHS and DVD. I’d say it’s a matter of taste which version you prefer. I actually like the detail about Walmart buying WY. It makes sense in a cyberpunk/dark space dystopia.

S.M

Fri 20 Dec 2019, 08:37

The "we" is Fox.  I've been consulting with them for the last 6 years or so.

I like Resurrection too and yes, we are few.  :D

sarge

Fri 20 Dec 2019, 12:31

I really enjoyed Resurrection, I have very happy memories of a local small cinema in our town where I went to see it 5 times in one week...I was a bit of an Aliens fan and remember at least one night being the only person in the cinema! 

Diego

Fri 20 Dec 2019, 15:12

I was a bit of an Aliens fan and remember at least one night being the only person in the cinema! 
Given the general consensus on Alien Resurection, I can believe that =p

But more seriously to each their own. As a teen I actually kinda like resurection, it was as I got older and realized what that film was to a franchise which up till that point had been all about mood and atmosphere. I'm glad at least someone out there likes that film though.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Bengt Petter

Wed 25 Dec 2019, 14:59

Ok, that’s good to know. As I’m sure you understand, it’s hard to know who is posting here. People who seem sure of what that are saying, might be anybody. Personally, I have no connection to Fox, but I took part in writing much of Mutant Year Zero, the first Year Zero game. I find it fascinating to see how that framework now is being used in other settings. Actually, the titan power concept for Mutant Year Zero, that I took part in creating, was to some extent inspired by the presense of Weyland Yutani in Alien. It’s basically a tech noir trope that was used for a deeper level of world building.

So how did you get into consulting with Fox? Where you a fan with deep knowledge about the Alien franchise or did you come from consulting big franchises more in general? And, by the way, what would say the core themes are in the entire Alien franchise? I would say xenomorph mythos (similar to and related to the Lovecraft mythos), dystopian capitalism with hidden agendas, the insignificance of mankind in space, and the fluid difference between human and artificial intelligence. You could also add feminist struggle against patriarchal capitalism, a theme that I think wasn’t mentioned in the game (actually, it’s possible to see the entire franchise as a leftist dystopia, although I’m not sure Fox would love that description...).

Therian

Fri 27 Dec 2019, 19:52

Hy all, first time here and just received my pledge...

Don't know if this as been issued before, but someone knows why Alien 4:Clonation as been leaved out entirely by the rpg? i searched the forum but hasn't found a topib by now..

I know it's not so great.. but it has some good ideas for me (the idea of the Betty and his crew and the  WY research ship, For example)
and, btw, i think that Prometheus is realy realy bad...(i don't know wich one is worse) and i haven't seen Covenant  yet...so i would have taken all or nothing...
:-)

It actually hasn’t been completely abandoned. The Sotillo in the Chariot of the Gods scenario looks like it’s actually the same type of ship as the Betty. Which would make sense since in the movie Ripley says the ship is older than her.

sathyr

Fri 27 Dec 2019, 22:54

Hy all, first time here and just received my pledge...

Don't know if this as been issued before, but someone knows why Alien 4:Clonation as been leaved out entirely by the rpg? i searched the forum but hasn't found a topib by now..

I know it's not so great.. but it has some good ideas for me (the idea of the Betty and his crew and the  WY research ship, For example)
and, btw, i think that Prometheus is realy realy bad...(i don't know wich one is worse) and i haven't seen Covenant  yet...so i would have taken all or nothing...
:-)

It actually hasn’t been completely abandoned.  The Sotillo in the Chariot of the Gods scenario looks like it’s actually the same type of ship as the Betty.  Which would make sense since in the movie Ripley says the ship is older than her.
That's a good catch! I think you're right, I was spinning my wheels trying to think of what kind of ship the Sotillo was supposed to be as the make/model were coming up blank, but the size and silhouette are too close of a match with the Betty to be a coincidence.

S.M

Sun 29 Dec 2019, 03:59

Ok, that’s good to know. As I’m sure you understand, it’s hard to know who is posting here. People who seem sure of what that are saying, might be anybody. Personally, I have no connection to Fox, but I took part in writing much of Mutant Year Zero, the first Year Zero game. I find it fascinating to see how that framework now is being used in other settings. Actually, the titan power concept for Mutant Year Zero, that I took part in creating, was to some extent inspired by the presense of Weyland Yutani in Alien. It’s basically a tech noir trope that was used for a deeper level of world building.

So how did you get into consulting with Fox? Where you a fan with deep knowledge about the Alien franchise or did you come from consulting big franchises more in general? And, by the way, what would say the core themes are in the entire Alien franchise? I would say xenomorph mythos (similar to and related to the Lovecraft mythos), dystopian capitalism with hidden agendas, the insignificance of mankind in space, and the fluid difference between human and artificial intelligence. You could also add feminist struggle against patriarchal capitalism, a theme that I think wasn’t mentioned in the game (actually, it’s possible to see the entire franchise as a leftist dystopia, although I’m not sure Fox would love that description...).
I got involved after S.D. Perry contacted me when she was working on The Weylani-Yutani Report and she said she was using my timeline (www.alientimeline.wordpress.com) and would arrange to get me a copy of the book when it was done.  That led to introductions with Fox and Insight (the publisher), and later working on a bunch of things, some of which I get credited on, on some I even get paid for.

As for the themes, I think many of the ones you mentioned are suitable.  Originally it was about mankind's insignificance in the face of an ambivalent universe.  Since the prequels it's changed a little with David deliberately out to get us and it's become more about gods and their creations I think.