Loris

Alien films

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 18:26

Hy all, first time here and just received my pledge...

Don't know if this as been issued before, but someone knows why Alien 4:Clonation as been leaved out entirely by the rpg? i searched the forum but hasn't found a topib by now..

I know it's not so great.. but it has some good ideas for me (the idea of the Betty and his crew and the  WY research ship, For example)
and, btw, i think that Prometheus is realy realy bad...(i don't know wich one is worse) and i haven't seen Covenant  yet...so i would have taken all or nothing...
:-)

Rymdhamster

Re: Alien films

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 18:35

Hmm, what year does the RPG take place? I got the impression from Alien 4 that it took place pretty far into the future. 

EzMad

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 19:22

Alien 4 is set much further into the future. It's beyond the scope of the current timeline.
Of course we may see it in a future sourcebook release!

Loris

Tue 17 Dec 2019, 19:35

Ok..
i can see a new sourcebook with a new type of campaign, something like Space pirates/freelances

Riggswolfe

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 00:19

Ok..
i can see a new sourcebook with a new type of campaign, something like Space pirates/freelances
This will hopefully be covered in the inevitable Space Trucker campaign book. As for Alien: Resurrection, it takes place something like 200 years after Alien 3. The RPG is set, I think, about 3 years after Alien 3.

I know it's not so great.. but it has some good ideas for me (the idea of the Betty and his crew and the  WY research ship, For example)
and, btw, i think that Prometheus is realy realy bad...(i don't know wich one is worse) and i haven't seen Covenant  yet...so i would have taken all or nothing...
The research ship wasn't a WY research ship. It was government if memory serves. WY got bought out by Walmart according to a line of dialogue.

sathyr

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 01:38

For reference:

2093 - Prometheus
2104 - Covenant
2122 - Alien
2179 - Aliens and Alien 3
2381 - Resurrection

As mentioned above that puts Resurrection at 200+ years after all the other movies. Even if the quality of the film and the changes it made to the narrative weren't an issue, it still makes sense to set the tabletop "in the middle" of the franchise and tie it in primarily with the most popular films

You could pretty easily set a game in the far future without much work, though. Just change a few names around.

S.M

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 02:52

Ok..
This will hopefully be covered in the inevitable Space Trucker campaign book. As for Alien: Resurrection, it takes place something like 200 years after Alien 3. The RPG is set, I think, about 3 years after Alien 3.

I know it's not so great.. but it has some good ideas for me (the idea of the Betty and his crew and the  WY research ship, For example)
and, btw, i think that Prometheus is realy realy bad...(i don't know wich one is worse) and i haven't seen Covenant  yet...so i would have taken all or nothing...
The research ship wasn't a WY research ship. It was government if memory serves. WY got bought out by Walmart according to a line of dialogue.
You're correct.  The USM Auriga was government rather than corporate.  Though we ended up ditching the concept of WY being bought out by WalMart.  It wasn't in the proper version of the film, and it just ended up that megacorps were banned in 2349 by the United Systems.  WY lost it's final appeal in 2352.

Riggswolfe

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 19:54

It's in the special edition though to be honest I never liked that line of dialogue. 

Rymdhamster

Wed 18 Dec 2019, 21:04

It's in the special edition though to be honest I never liked that line of dialogue. 
I seem to remember they were pretty clear at the time that the theatrical edition was the "proper" edition (the "director's cut, as it were), and the special edition was just made for fun, for the collectors edition DvD-box. 

Same as with the first movie.

S.M

Thu 19 Dec 2019, 04:24

Yes, Jean-Pierre Jeunet introduces the Special Edition as "not a directors cut".  He was perfectly happy with the theatrical version.
GZIP: Off