Jonbertsch

Breaking down doors

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 08:25

How are PC expected to break down doors? Is reducing its damage to zero the only way? Do they all take turns shooting at it? What about a cutting torch with a successful heavy machinery roll, it takes one turn and is kinda loud...

S.M

Re: Breaking down doors

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 08:57

Do those little handheld cutters from Aliens count as heavy?

Another way get through would be to cut the power to the door.

decanox

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 09:38

Hi...

In Hope's Last Day the characters can break some doors. They have "life" points and armor rating (12 damage points and 6 armor rating). When the door reaches 0 "damage points" is supposed to be broken.

But I would rather design another system to break doors, more streamlined, because last week I played a Hope's Last Day session, the characters had to break a door and we rolled, rolled, and rolled many dice and it was a bit annoying.

I understand the rule since if it's used a cutting torch, it's important to know wether the battery has enough power or not... but to avoid so many die rolls, I would apply some average damage to the door per round and roll only for supply.   

Fenhorn

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 11:19

Normally you use Heavy Machinery or Comtech to open doors, but failing that, then you have to break it down.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Jonbertsch

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 17:10

So for a pc to damage a door they have to successfully attack it and then the door gets an armor roll? I’m hoping the armor ratings listed for doors are for cover purposes only.

EzMad

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 19:21

Don't forget that one of the functions of the maintenance Jack is to open doors, at least more heavy duty ones.

decanox

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 20:50

So for a pc to damage a door they have to successfully attack it and then the door gets an armor roll? I’m hoping the armor ratings listed for doors are for cover purposes only.
I understand in that way.

Summarising according to the example given on Hope's Last Day:

- You roll close combat. Add successes to damage as stunt.
- The door reduce damage with its armor value (6 dice).
- When you reach 12 damage points, the door breaks down.

As I told before, I would streamline this "rule", because we were rolling dice a lot and it was annoying (6 armor points and 12 damage points are a lot of points). I would roll once (and I would allow to roll heavy machinery adding damage as a stunt) for a round and apply that die roll to the next damage attempts to avoid rolling too many dice. Each attempt is one round and I would check power supply to each attempt (it's possible to run out of power before the door breaks).

Don't forget that one of the functions of the maintenance Jack is to open doors, at least more heavy duty ones.
  Yes but for example in Hope's Last Day there weren't maintenance jacks. 

aramis

Sun 15 Dec 2019, 22:52

There's also the manipulation route: convince the AI to open the door for you. 
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

OrunII

Mon 16 Dec 2019, 11:14

In Hope's Last Day the characters can break some doors. They have "life" points and armor rating (12 damage points and 6 armor rating). When the door reaches 0 "damage points" is supposed to be broken.
Didn't all that noise attract some unwanted attention? :P

decanox

Mon 16 Dec 2019, 14:41

Didn't all that noise attract some unwanted attention? :P
Yes, of course they did :D.
GZIP: Off